Fruit trees

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Brenjon
KG Regular

I have minarette fruit trees on my allotment. the apples have done well this year but the plums and pears have not fruited although they did flower. I feel they will produce more if I move them to give them more room and not prune them as hard and let them grow more freely. when would be the best time to move them. advice welcomed.
Regards Brenjon
peter
KG Regular

In the Autumn, once their leaves have all fallen, assuming they are actually in the ground now.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Hi Brenjon, when you replant in autumn, you could try adding some beneficial fungi under the roots, ( rootgrow ) Are you in an area that had late frosts? Or some soil from an uncultivated source would do which will have the natural local fungi, they have a role in supporting the tree and adding nutrition in exchange for sugars, and inhibiting disease.
Last edited by Nature's Babe on Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
Geoff
KG Regular

Usual advice is don't prune Plums unless you have to.
Beryl
KG Regular

Keep in mind Brendon that a lot of us haven't had a good plum crop this year even though they were covered in blossom. Pears to are not so prolific either.

If in doubt do nowt. A piece of very good advice I was given by a very experienced gardener just when I was starting out on the lottie. More years ago now than I care to remember..
Beryl.
peter
KG Regular

Beryll, surprised ny your lack of plums, old not next plot to me had two Victoria Plum trees & they're bent down absolutely dripping with fruit.
Must be down to local frost patterns .although the.site is in a frost pocket his trees are at the higher & shaded south side, so perhaps that gives a lower light level with delayed blossom & shelter from frost?
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Beryl
KG Regular

Peter, I do have plums on my Vic. but the earlier ones, Early Rivers, Beauty and Czar there is very few and the damson, very few. I'm not the only one on the site. They blossomed early like most did this year but we didn't have the bees or insects to pollunate. I heard on the radio the apple crop is magnificent this year because of the cold dormant winter but the pears although good for me in general are down.
Swings and round abouts eh!

Beryl.
John
KG Regular

Hello Brenjon
If your trees are looking healthy I would follow Beryl's advice.
Plums can be very fickle as they flower early so a cold night can easily finish the blossom and there will be no crop for you that year. The fact that they are flowering is a good sign that all is well. Generally fruit trees will survive being moved but in the moving they seem to loose some of their vigour.

John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
Brenjon
KG Regular

thanks for all the replies and advice. I will move most of them in the autumn as they do need more room to develop
Regards Brenjon
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic