Shallots - replanting last years ???

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

darkbrowneggs
KG Regular

Hi all - I usually do well with shallots and keep some for next years seed. Last year I had some rot in some of mine so bought in all new seed shallots (which looked nice enough when they arrived)

This years crop is as poor as I have ever grown. Not many shallots to a clump and some so small as to be not worth peeling. The tops are now withering and browning so I assume that is it for this years crop

In the barn I still have some from last year - some useable for cooking and some with nice strong healthy shoots

What are anyone's thoughts about my putting the sprouted one in the ground. What chance of some shallots???? is this frowned on as bad for disease etc

All the best
Sue
peter
KG Regular

They'll probably flower and give you next years seed.
That's how I keep my banana ones going.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
darkbrowneggs
KG Regular

peter wrote:They'll probably flower and give you next years seed.
That's how I keep my banana ones going.

Sooooo...???? If I plant them now they will run to seed next year

When do I plant the seed, and when do they become harvestable shallots?

Also - if I planted say Longnor and Golden Gourmet and Red Sun will I get a mishmash of various hybrids, or will each seed come true to its parent?

Many thanks
Sue
alan refail
KG Regular

Hi d b e

I tried - and totally failed - last year -

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8547
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Sue,
The Shallots you have that are sprouting obviously have no visible signs of disease and as Peter quite rightly says that, if planted, they will probably go to seed and probably no edible Shallots.
Should you save those seeds you could have have the basis of your own supply of Shallots almost indefinitely.
I do exactly the same as Peter with Banana Shallots as they do not make the divisions that are a part of the Shallot that we all know. When replanting those that do divide they invariably go to seed. Sowing from seed each year has so far given some excellent results.
I say nothing ventured nothing gained GO FOR IT!
JB.
peter
KG Regular

They'll flower and produce seed this year.
You sow it next year, can be on New Years Day in the cold greenhouse and you'll get shallots of normal size at the normal time when the leaves die off. :D
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic