Using fresh manure

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Ballydoolagh
KG Regular

I was wondering if it would be ok to use freshish manure in the autumn and dig it in and leave it until next spring or so.
I had no well rotted stuff this year and my veg have suffered, the butternut squash plants have shrunk. I realise fresh will burn plant roots but if it is left over winter is this a problem?
I am also thinking of changing the orientation of my beds due to rainwater flow. This is the first year veg has been grown in the field, before it was just a grass field. How will this effect crop rotation or should I not worry too much about it.
Kleftiwallah
KG Regular

Just spread the manure over the bare soil and let the worms pull it down. Groing spuds in a previous medow will be attacked by wireworm for a good few years. Cheers, Tony.
the custodian
KG Regular

can anyone tell me if i can use the hay and droppings from a rabbit hutch in my compost as i have just adopted a dwarf rabbit for my daughter and it seems a shame to throw it all away if my compost will benifit from it.
if at first you dont succeed try a mint!!!
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Hi Custodian. Apparently rabbit droppings are higher nitrogen than chicken droppings, so should make a good contribution to your compost, layer in among other things and compost well, fresh they would burn plants. Not an expert on rabbit droppings but it seems folk do use them
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
the custodian
KG Regular

thank you NB, we are now busy reading up on what we can feed it which has now been given the name of sprinkles by my daughter !

apparently they eat more than just carrots so looks like i will be building a run well away from my veg plot.
if at first you dont succeed try a mint!!!
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Any car runs the gauntlet with young rabbits on the verges of our lane, lucky they stick to the top end and the field hedgerows and don't get as far as our garden.
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic