The contrast between this
Harrier Butternut Squash
IMG_0152.JPG
IMG_0152.JPG (62.84 KiB) Viewed 2966 times

and this
Crown Prince (Invincible)
IMG_0155.JPG
IMG_0155.JPG (57.05 KiB) Viewed 2966 times

could not be greater. Both sown and planted out at the same time. Indeed, a couple of the 3 Harrier were partially protected by a cold frame (no lid). But it appeared to make no difference.

I had hoped that as Harrier was British bred it would cope with our climate. Maybe the low overnight temperatures that we have experienced in July, sometimes as low as 5C, may be the answer. At one stage, a few weeks ago, they did look rather better. Anyone any thoughts
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

You may be right, they are a tender plant, the younger leaves look OK, perhaps it will recover.
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
Parsons Jack
KG Regular

Doesn't look too happy does it.

I've grown 'Seeds of Italy' Butternut Rugosa this year, and they are really romping away :)
I planted 6 in a space approx 18ft x 8ft, with an 18 inch high debris net windbreak around them. They seem to have appreciated the shovelful of manure in each planting hole :D
Cheers PJ.

I'm just off down the greenhouse. I won't be long...........
Colin Miles
KG Regular

I have now dug them up, repotted - in peat - trimmed off the worst of the grot, brought them into the greenhouse and fed and watered them. Maybe they can go back out later if they recover, or even grow on in the greenhouse. 1 of them appears to have a fruit.
John
KG Regular

Hello Colin
The b'nut seems to have suffered a setback of some sort as the younger leaves are much healthier and appear to have started growing quite well.
I'm not quite sure how you have tried to grow them but they appear to be a bit crowded - can I see lettuce or cabbage nearby?
I allow my squash a good clear 6 foot wide bed in an open part of the veg plot. I draw the soil up to form a shallow ridge then plant down the middle. When planting out I dig out a hole about the size of a 10 litre pot and fill this with old potting compost or similar then add a good sprinkling of growmore. Squash are greedy plants and need something with plenty of nutrients in it if they are to flourish. As they get going I pinch out the main growing point to encourage branching then put straw under their growth. All this might seem a lot of faffing about but its worth it to get reliable cropping.
The real problem with squash is that because our season is so short for them you've got to get the sowing, planting and growing conditions right first time as there is no time available for a second chance.

Hope this helps

John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
Colin Miles
KG Regular

The b'nut seems to have suffered a setback of some sort as the younger leaves are much healthier and appear to have started growing quite well.
I'm not quite sure how you have tried to grow them but they appear to be a bit crowded - can I see lettuce or cabbage nearby?

No - the younger leaves are not healthy. They were a lot healthier and the plants have regressed considerably - probably the lowish night-time temperatures. As for how they are grown, they would have plenty of space once they started to develop and their situation is no different from that of the Squash. Indeed the latter is fighting with potatoes - should have been lifted by now but rather late - and I usually intercrop items like lettuce.
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

I usually top the soil with a good layer of compost where I plant squash, then mulch with straw, it helps keep the plant moist and well fed, they do take a lot of space though. Last year I grew a couple of large squash vertically and trained them in and out of the balcony struts, it worked well and we had a lovely crop. Another self seeded in the potato bed, despite being crowded it romped away and accross 2 more beds - it was very productive. Sometimes they do seem slow at first then suddenly there is no stopping them. :)
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
toffeeman
KG Regular

On the subject of butternut squashes, I have them about 90cm apart as per instructions. Have a few cricket ball size squashes that appear to be doing well but notice that a couple have rotted away which were golf ball size. They don't look particularly vigorous. Have courgette plants in the same bed which look like something from the rain forest and are spectacular. Noticed one or two of the cougettes have begun to rot off at an early stage though. Any advice to get the best out of the squashes would be appreciated.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic