Leggy bush tomato

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Myrkk
KG Regular

I bought two bush tomatoes from the local garden centre to give them a go. One has stayed really lovely and compact putting out extra leaves and a has flowers in several areas. The other has gone crazy and is now around 75cm tall, and very thin looking more like a cordon variety than a bush variety. They were both kept in the same conditions.

Any suggestions? The compact one is Sun Baby, the leggy one is Garden Pearl.

I had the same problem last year with bush tomatoes, variety I can't remember, that I grew from seed last year but thought it may just be how they grow.
John
KG Regular

Hello Myrkk
One thing you could do with the GP plant is to cut it back to about three leaf joints from soil level. It will then break quite a few side shoots and hopefully grow bushy.
I grew GP several years ago and I seem to remember that there were some comments about this variety on forum. I didn't think much of it and this was the opinion of others. Good varieties for pots are the Tumbler/Tumbling types and for an outdoor bed I would suggest Red Alert.

John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
Myrkk
KG Regular

Thanks John. Will chop it back today. I wish I could remember the strain I grew last year, so I could put it on my don't buy again list.
Beryl
KG Regular

A very good bush tomato is Red Alert. I grow it every year. Always the first one to ripen. Larger than the normal cherry tom. very good flavour.

Planted mine out on the lottie yesterday but I have given them some fleece protection.
Beryl.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic