Planting tomatoes

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Ian in Cumbria
KG Regular

Hello All

You might remember this is my first season with a greenhouse. In the past I've grown tomatoes outdoors after sowing them on a windowsill. I'm amazed at how much better the plants are this year - much sturdier and generally more healthy looking. Now the question. I was planning to put them into their final pots when they got to 6"-8" high but now, at maybe 4" high they are starting to show flower buds (very small yet). They seem happy enough in the 3" pots they are in. Should I move them on now or can I move them later when the flowers will likely be open? Does it matter?

Thanks

Ian
Mike Vogel
KG Regular

To be getting flowers on a 4 inch high plant seems to me unusual, Ian. But plants flower when they think they are going to die, so maybe they are not as happy as they look. How about potting on half of them and seeing if that makes any difference in the long run. What variety are they?

It really won't matter what the state of the flower buds is when you pot on. But be careful when you plant out, because we can get caught out by late frosts [though maybe not where you are, with the gulf stream etc].
Please support Wallace Cancer Care
http://www.wallacecancercare.org.uk
and see
http://www.justgiving.com/mikevogel

Never throw anything away.
Ian in Cumbria
KG Regular

Mike

I'll be planting on in the greenhouse which I'm keeping at 10C minimum so frost shouldn't be an issue. Good idea to pot half on though. Varieties are Sungold, Gardeners' delight and Roma.

Regards

Ian
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Morning Ian, if the roots have filled the pots, it's time to move them on.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Ian in Cumbria
KG Regular

Thanks OH. I'm getting the greenhouse sorted out for planting today so once that's done I'll check the roots.

Regards

Ian
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic