Bee deaths linked to the garden insecticide imidacloprid

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

John Walker
KG Regular

The evidence suggesting we need to think again about using imidacloprid continues to mount. This article 'Bees facing a poisoned spring' is from The Independent, 20.1.11, is the latest examination of the scientific evidence:
The American study, led by Dr Jeffrey Pettis, research leader at the US government bee lab in Beltsville, Maryland, has demonstrated that the insects' vulnerability to infection is increased by the presence of imidacloprid, even at the most microscopic doses. Dr Pettis and his team found that increased disease infection happened even when the levels of the insecticide were so tiny that they could not subsequently be detected in the bees, although the researchers knew that they had been dosed with it.

The message appears to be that if you make bees unwell by poisoning them via pollen and/or nectar, they are more susceptible to catching diseases:
The worry is that neonicotinoids, which are neurotoxins – that is, they attack the central nervous system – are also "systemic", meaning they are taken up into every part of the plant which is treated with them, including the pollen and nectar. This means that bees and other pollinating insects can absorb them and carry them back to their hives or nests – even if they are not the insecticide's target species.

Full article: http://www.independent.co.uk/environmen ... 89267.html

The article also contains links to some others which make informative reading.

If you want to know what garden chemicals contain imidacloprid (plus those containing other neonicotinoids), the Soil Assocation lists them here:

http://www.soilassociation.org/Whyorgan ... fault.aspx

There are also other links with further information, including an appeal to contact your MP.
Parsons Jack
KG Regular

There is link to a petition here http://www.avaaz.org/en/save_the_bees

I visited Slovenia last year, which is one of the Countries that has banned these pesticides, and was pleasantly surprised at the number of insects in the meadows.
I have been photographing insects since I was a lad ( many, many years ago :lol: ) and have seen the rapid decline in their numbers over recent years.
Cheers PJ.

I'm just off down the greenhouse. I won't be long...........
alan refail
KG Regular

From DEFRA

http://ww2.defra.gov.uk/news/2011/01/21 ... cotinoids/

US study on neonicotinoids – myths busted

Published on Friday 21 January 2011 at 3:00pm

The myth – The Independent claims that the finding of an unpublished US scientific report suggests neonicotinoid pesticides could be killing bee colonies across the world.

The truth – The finding of the US report is not unexpected – that if a bee is given a dose of insecticide and an infection it will become weaker as a result.

The UK has a robust system for assessing risks from pesticides and all the evidence shows neonicotinoids do not pose an unacceptable risk when products are used correctly. However, we will not hesitate to act if presented with any new evidence.

Since 2008, we have contributed more than £5million to projects on honey bee health, including research and beekeeper training. The Government’s National Bee Unit helps beekeepers prevent disease and its scientists recently discovered a potential new way to fight the varroa mite.
Parsons Jack
KG Regular

More on this in the Independent today

http://www.independent.co.uk/environmen ... 94480.html
Cheers PJ.

Johnboy
KG Regular

Errrrrrrr,
Last week The Independent highlighted new research from the US suggesting that neonicotinoids make honey bees far more vulnerable to diseases, even at doses so tiny that they cannot subsequently be detected.

Just pause and think about that statement!
A case of the Emperor's New Clothes?
JB.
Parsons Jack
KG Regular

Johnboy wrote:Errrrrrrr,
Last week The Independent highlighted new research from the US suggesting that neonicotinoids make honey bees far more vulnerable to diseases, even at doses so tiny that they cannot subsequently be detected.

Just pause and think about that statement!
A case of the Emperor's New Clothes?
JB.

Hi Johnboy,

From the report;
The American study, led by Dr Jeffrey Pettis, research leader at the US government bee lab in Beltsville, Maryland, has demonstrated that the insects' vulnerability to infection is increased by the presence of imidacloprid, even at the most microscopic doses. Dr Pettis and his team found that increased disease infection happened even when the levels of the insecticide were so tiny that they could not subsequently be detected in the bees, although the researchers knew that they had been dosed with it.
Cheers PJ.

Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi PJ,
I would still like you to think what is being said. This is science on a song and a promise. Science is the pursuit of the truth and this is simply not the case here.
I have every sympathy with the cause of death in Bees and am as eager to get as quick a result as possible but really the science must match-up and quite frankly this doesn't.
JB.
alan refail
KG Regular

Whilst browsing through the Garden Organic website I came across this article.

Following up information on Spinosad manufactured by Dow AgroSciences, I find

a) that it is marketed as "Organic" LINK

b) that it has Soil Association approval for use in Organic systems LINK

c) that it is highly toxic to bees and other pollinators at certain stages of its useLINK
Colin Miles
KG Regular

Alan, perhaps they looked at all of it?

The topical acute activity of spinosad against honeybees is less than 1 µg per bee which places spinosad in the highly toxic to bees category of the EPA. However, once residues have dried completely, toxicity of foraging bees is considered negligible (Mayer and Lunden, 1998). There are minimal safety precautions and preharvest and reentry intervals for this reduced risk product.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic