Poultry question

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

hilary
KG Regular

Hi,
I have moved my hens from their current pen to a new site whilst their old pen recovers. I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on what I can put on the ground to counter any build up of bacteria etc from their droppings.

Hilary
John
KG Regular

Hello Hilary
I don't think that there is much to worry about as far as bacteria and so on are concerned. Just let the weather do its job but you could loosen the soil with a fork as I expect that it has become compacted. Chickens do make the soil in their pen quite acid over a period of time so I would suggest a generous sprinkling of lime.

John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
alan refail
KG Regular

Hi Hilary

My hens are free-range so I don't have your problem. However, I would suggest you just dig over the ground, rake down and sow grass seed.
hilary
KG Regular

Thanks - have sprinkled lime over the ground to sweeten and will rake and put some grass seed down covered with wire to give it a chance when I move them back.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic