Will my vegetables be ruined?

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Primrose
KG Regular

This autumn I lightly earthed up my beetroot and celeriac which is still in the ground, which has now been frozen hard for several days. Will it be ruined once the ground has thawed? Serves me right for trying to save myself work and not digging them up and storing them in some dried peat.
bottomleypots
KG Regular

Hi Primrose,
They should be ok, the odd beetroot will get damaged by frost, the only thing not to is to pick the beet whilst the frost is still in them.
"An hour digging is better than two hours in the Gym"
Beryl
KG Regular

Celeriac definitely will OK not sure about beetroot but if its well protected I should think so.

Beryl.
Mike Vogel
KG Regular

We've had the odd minus 5 and my celeriac, not particularly well covered, is OK.
Please support Wallace Cancer Care
http://www.wallacecancercare.org.uk
and see
http://www.justgiving.com/mikevogel

Never throw anything away.
Monika
KG Regular

Our celeriac is finished but I am hoping the beetroot and swedes have survived, but they are still covered with thick snow (which might have saved them?!). The sprouts and purple sprouting broccoli seem ok, but I am worried about the kales. They look very limp - probably with the very cold nights we have had (down to minus 11 and the same expected tonight again), followed by sunny days, they have probably succumbed to drought, not being able to take up any water.

At least, in the greenhouse, I have been able to spray the winter lettuces, herbs etc in the mornings, but all the allotment water is frozen, of course.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic