Did your Asparagus suffer last winter?

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Did your Asparagus suffer last winter? Mine did, between the hard winter and the cats scratching a lot of crowns lost. So I decided to start again,
the new crowns arrived today from T&M, the crowns looked really good, much better than the last lot I bought locally. They are now in their designated spot in the garden, a place where they won't shade other plants, six inches deep and 1.5 ft apart in a compost rich bed, with some cat protection, and mulched over with a nice thick layer of straw - just in case we get another hard winter like last year !
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
madasafish
KG Regular

Lost 6 out of 12 plants...

Not to mention lt more of other plants and shrubs...

Hope yours survive till 2011, NB , and you get a good crop in 2012... unless of course like me you cheat and eat some of the first year's growth....
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Thank you Masdafish, I hope so too, I must remember to fertilise before the new growth next year, to help build up the new crowns, but the ground is in pretty good heart with all the compost I made and added, and I am beginning to realise the benefits of gardening vertically like nature does as everywhere is getting a good autumn mulch of leaves from the grape, kiwi and fruit trees dotted about the garden. :) Sorry to hear you lost so many plants, you are further north, it must have been worse there.
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I didn't lose any, but they were very late producing spears and I thought some weren't going to come through, but they did eventually. I'm definitely going to mulch them this year - just in case.
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Hi Plumpudding, it amazes me how quickly the worms drag the mulch into the soil and digest it ! I have to watch the chickens or the mulch gets scratched up to get at the worms on the surface.
By Thomas Huxley
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic