Using rescources faster than nature can replace them.

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Come on Alan, I seem to remember you saying have a degree. If you do understand why ignore RHS advice ? Use your obvious intelligence to help overcome the problems instead of playing devils advocate, as with the compost dilemma ! :wink:
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
madasafish
KG Regular

Sally
you can grow most flowers if you do not use the double forms

That is what I have read. Having said that I grow lots and LOTS of opium poppies in our garden.. approx 1 metre tall. Bees love them, indeed they like them so much it is not uncommon to see 5 or 6 bees inside the same flower.
We have single and double poppies.. and guess what? .. the bess like the double ones as well..

Pity I only have a picture of a single poppy with one solitary bee.. edit: sorry two if you look carefully..
Attachments
MiniNuc2010214924.JPG
MiniNuc2010214924.JPG (461.56 KiB) Viewed 2538 times
alan refail
KG Regular

Hi NB

I notice that you don't answer the initial point I made:

I am confused by your title for the thread: Using resources faster than nature can replace them.
It has the ring of a good starting point for responsible gardeners, but what does it actually mean? If by "resources" we mean materials derived from fossil fuel - plastics, chemicals, diesel and petrol - then clearly these are not going to be replaced ever and must be conserved. Any use of them is by definition not "sustainable". If "resources" means renewables such as timber, bamboo canes, jute twine etc., then clearly they can only be used "faster than nature can replace them" up to the point of their non-availability.

If this is playing "Devil's Advocate", then so be it. If the position is good enough for the Vatican to employ them LINK to examine claims for sainthood with a sceptical eye, then surely it's good enough for a humble gardening forum :wink:

I do indeed have a degree in modern European languages and my knowledge of linguistics tells me that "jargon" is used by professionals in a field with the aim, or at least effect, of excluding the uninitiated. At the risk of sounding pompous, if I can't understand phrases such as
Use a decision-making hierarchy of preservation, conservation, and regeneration
Provide regenerative systems as intergenerational equity

I suspect others can't either. Come on, you explain what this means!

Finally, what on earth gives you the right to presume that I do not follow practices suggested, in understandable language, by the RHS?
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

I have one shady spot on the north side of our bungalow and large red poppies still thrive even there.
Alan i did not write that article take it up with them.
In answer to your last question, to quote you -
The peat-based compost I use comes from Northern Ireland, less than 300 kilometres from here by road.
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
alan refail
KG Regular

Alan i did not write that article take it up with them.

But you did post it to support your thesis!

In answer to your last question, to quote you -
Quote:
The peat-based compost I use comes from Northern Ireland, less than 300 kilometres from here by road.

...remember the full statement I made in a separate thread:

The majority of coir for compost is imported from Sri Lanka - a direct distance of 9000 kilometres, and considerably further by sea.

Why conveniently ignore the first part?
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Alan, If you read my posts you will see I included those two links to spark general discussion not in support of a thesis.I was hoping for more positive contributions from fellow gardeners aiming to be more sustainable in the garden. It is possible to use home made compost, its not just a choice between those two, neither are ideal. I do agree with you about professionsal language being designed to confuse, and when I came accross INCREMENTAL IMPACTS the other day on the DEFRA site I challenged them to simplify as I had no idea what it was referring to :?
By Thomas Huxley
peter
KG Regular

Incremental impacts is easy.

If everyone visiting your garden takes away a handful of soil the individual impact is insignificant, but if a thousand people visit your garden every week it won't be there for long.

Incremental, a bit at a time.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
alan refail
KG Regular

Hi Peter

Fancy putting your interpretational skills to work on:

:?: :?:
peter
KG Regular

alan refail wrote:Hi Peter

ok, I'll give it a go.

"When making decisions about the use of resources compare their relative merits considering whether they can regenerate to provide more resource in the future and if not can you either avoid using it altogether or minimise your use of it."
In the context preservation and conservation could be interpreted to be interchangeable.
"Consider your children's children and try to use renewable resources wherever possible."

More cynically, "Oh look I can use big words to ponce up some obvious thoughts to look impressive.", or "If you can't dazzle them with brilliance then baffle them with 'best quality manure' ". :)
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

madasafish
KG Regular

alan refail wrote:Hi Peter

Interpreted it means:
"We are going to bullshit all you muppets to believe we know what we are doing when we have no idea."

Any person or organisation which cannot write simply in words people can understand is run by cretins who like the sound of big words as they have no idea how to put their case simply.

Period.
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

:lol: :lol: :lol: you little devils :wink:

I thought incremental was growth or increase, and I wanted to know growth or increase of what? It wasn't at all clear.

There we go again - way off the subject of how to be more sustainable in the garden!
By Thomas Huxley
peter
KG Regular

Nature's Babe wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: you little devils :wink:

I thought incremental was growth or increase, and I wanted to know growth or increase of what? It wasn't at all clear.

There we go again - way off the subject of how to be more sustainable in the garden!

A lot depends upon context in English, but the word incremental entered my working life more years ago than I care to mention.

In computing one way you can back up your data with a combination of "Full" and "Incremental" Backups.

A Full is what it says on the tin, but might take more than all night to run.
An Incremental only secures anything which has been created or changed since the last backup of whatever sort and for examples sake lets say it takes four hours.

So backups start at 10pm, a Full on Friday night going well into Saturday and Incrementals Monday to Thursday nights finishing around 2am.

You need to restore all data on Thursday afternoon to how it was at the start of the day.
Restore the last full and then the Incrementals, in order, for Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.

BTW there are more spohisticated methods that let you get virtually everything up to the point of failure with transaction logging.

Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Thank you Peter, it seems like one of those words with wide application. :)
By Thomas Huxley
Colin Miles
KG Regular

Site principles

Do no harm
Use the Precautionary principle
Design with nature and culture
Support a living process
Use a system thinking approach
Use a collaborative and ethical approach
Maintain integrity in leadership and research
Foster environmental stewardship

This really is just committee-speak - the polite comment.
What is harm? To whom?
If the Precautionary principle had been used in the past most of use wouldn't be here today.
What is nature and whose culture?
I can't go on, it's just too........
madasafish
KG Regular

I can't go on, it's just too........

BULL EXCREMENT is the phrase you are looking for I think.... :oops:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic