onion sets

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Brenjon
KG Regular

Can anyone explain why my onions in the same raised bed range from very large to very small. The onions are from sets (turbo) and in the main I am very pleased with them. It's just that the variation in size intrigues me.
Regards Brenjon
Bitzy66
KG Regular

Hi brenjon ,
I have noticed a simular thing with my onions and it seems to be where the sun creeps around the neighbours house in the morning and gradually spreads across the row they go from large to small in a set pattern .Could this be the reason ?.
Bitzy
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Hi Brenjon. If you check new onion sets the size varies quite a lot even before planting out,so I guess plants like us are individuals and just come in varying sizes, Conditions play a part too. I buy more than I need and only plant out the larger ones, the small ones I plant in the greenhouse overwinter for some very early spring onions, of course they need watering if under cover.
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
Brenjon
KG Regular

Hi Natures Babe
I gather that you are saying that the larger sets will make the largest onions. has anyone else any evidence to cofirm this.
Regards Brenjon
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Hi Brenjon, I just figured it might have something to do with it but haven't done any research, not too much variation in the size of mine and i like to have some early spring onions.
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic