French beans

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

amo
KG Regular

Hi

I had a problem with my beans germination, my yellow ones D'Oro Di Corona are refusing to came out, it is now my third time and I just got 3 coming out, the others look like they are rotting.

No problem with my other beans, I did Cobra, Borlotti and a purple one too.

I did all of them at the same time and in the same manners. the date limit is next year, I kept them all together.

Do you think it was just a bad packet?

Many thanks

amo
alan refail
KG Regular

amo wrote:Hi

Do you think it was just a bad packet?

Sounds more than likely. Where did you get them from?
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear amo, since your other beans came up fine, it seems very much that it was just a bad packet.

As long as you didn't keep the compost too wet, as some varieties seem to dislike that more than others, but they all hate being pemanently soaked whilst germinating.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
amo
KG Regular

Hi Alan

a local garden centre early this year.

amo
alan refail
KG Regular

Which seed company?
amo
KG Regular

I can't find the packet now but I got the feeling it was Thompson and Morgan.

As it is not too late I will buy another packet this weekend and have another go.
Primrose
KG Regular

That's funny. I'm having exactly the same problem with a packet of yellow beans I bought recently. It's one of those glossy packs branded Vita Sementi - Taste of Italy - Bush Bean Cresco, and on the base of the packet it's marked Thompson & Morgan so I assume it's another of their brands.

I've bought this brand several times in the past. They seem to be more generous with the amount of seed provided but only one of my first six beans sown germinated, and the second batch only 4 out of a dozen sown germinated, and two of them sprouted without any leaves so were useless. The yellow beans looked very attractive on the packet illustration and as I'd never grown them before I thought I'd experiment with a few plants. Feeling a bit disillusioned with them now but will try resowing. Wonder whether the germination may have been hindered by recent high temperatures. .
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Primrose, i've always found French Beans to germinate even better with higher temperatures.

Sounds like more dud seed, to me.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Me too, The canellini beans, purple beans and runner beans all grerminated well, but the unwins dwarf yellow french beans Mont d'Or, so far only two germinated ! Perhaps we should all write to the seed companies they should have been fine till 2011
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic