Jerusalem Artichokes

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

larrylove
KG Regular

My son today was "helping" me in the garden today and I thought he was just scratching around when I noticed he had dug several large holes in the bed where my artichokes are planted.On closer inspection I noticed he had dug several that had started to root up!! I popped them back in and am hoping for the best,can anyone set my mind at ease and tell me if they've had similar problems and did they grow ok?
Monika
KG Regular

I don't think you need to worry, larrylove, they'll be fine! They may take a little longer to emerge, but Jerusalem artichokes are almost indestructable, whatever happens to them! I have been trying to get rid of them in one part of the allotment and they still come up.
poppingjay
KG Regular

Would now be a good time to plant jerusalem artichokes? I've never grown them before and my friend brought me some round a couple of days ago, I've eaten some and I though I'd plant the rest. Any tips would be most welcome :)
Kleftiwallah
KG Regular

A tad late Popinjay, but bung 'em in anyway. Think about positioning as they can grow ten feet high and can become quite invasive! They tend to becoame all straggly / untidy if left unsupported.

A good variety is Fuseau as this is less knobbly than others. You will discover why they are called 'phartychokes'. Cheers, Tony.
poppingjay
KG Regular

Kleftiwallah wrote:A tad late Popinjay, but bung 'em in anyway. Think about positioning as they can grow ten feet high and can become quite invasive! They tend to becoame all straggly / untidy if left unsupported.

A good variety is Fuseau as this is less knobbly than others. You will discover why they are called 'phartychokes'. Cheers, Tony.

I'm not sure what variety it is I've got, but it was grown locally. Thanks for the advice, I'm going to plant them this afternoon, in the recently conquered patch at the bottom of the garden. I don't imagine they can get into too much trouble down there :)
Tigger
KG Regular

Just buy some asafoetida. The powder stops the smellies! Jerusalem artichokes make a gorgeous soup and excellent chips.
Kleftiwallah
KG Regular

:evil: Your just NO FUN Tigger! ! :o ! Cheers, :twisted: Tony
Tigger
KG Regular

Sorry. :( :o :shock: :D
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic