samphire

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

tracie
KG Regular

Hi All,

I have just ordered a couple of Samphire plants to be delivered towards the end of April.

There is very little advise in any of my allotment books about how to look after and grow.

Is anybody else growing any?, how do you cook it?,does it like full sun?, and do I need to water with salty water.

Any help would be great,

Thanks

Tracie :D
who needs the gym when you have an allotment
tiamaria1
KG Regular

Hi Tracie,
I have no idea how you grow it, but to cook it steam it lightly for a few minutes like asparagus

Let us know how you get on growing it cos I love and and the thought of growing had never entered my head!!!!!!!!!!! :?

:D :P
http://www.lancswt.org.uk
The Wildlife Trust protects all native wildlife. We create wildlife havens, stand up for wildlife, inspire people about the natural world and encourage sustainable living. Please join today!
tracie
KG Regular

I will keep you updated. It is nice totry something different sometimes.

Thanks for your reply

Tracie
alan refail
KG Regular

Hi Tracie

I assume what you ordered is Salicornia europaea also known as glasswort.

What I know of it is picking it as a child from the saltmarshes and eating it now. As you can see from the picture above an individual plant is quite small. I understand it is an annual. I have never heard of anyone growing it at home, or, for that matter, any nursery selling it. Where did you order it from?
tracie
KG Regular

Hi,

I ordered it from Victorian nursery.I think it is going to take a while to get a decent crop, but I thought it was worth a go.

Regards

Tracie
alan refail
KG Regular

tracie wrote:Hi,

I ordered it from Victorian nursery.I think it is going to take a while to get a decent crop, but I thought it was worth a go.

Regards

Tracie

I feel like saying "Oh dear!"

Victoriana are famous for making big claims. Some of what they say about samphire is just purely misleading.

This quote from their website

This is not something ‘new' - in his writings Shakespeare made reference to Samphire growing on the White Cliffs of Dover – and the workings of the Channel Tunnel were ‘reclaimed’ into a new area of land called Samphire Hoe.

is quite simply untrue (and possibly contravenes the trades description act).

The "samphire" at Samphire Hoe and the samphire referred to by Shakespeare in King Lear: "Half-way down, Hangs one that gathers samphire; dreadful trade!" is not Salicornia europaea, but the totally unrelated Rock Samphire - Crithmum maritimum
tracie
KG Regular

Hi,

having checked the web site it looks like I am going to be sent Salicornia europaea.

It will be interesting to see what arrives, and what condition it comes in. I will keep you informed, thanks for the words of warning,

Regards Tracie
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Alan,
I'll say it for you 'Oh Dear'!!!
Samphire Europea is a marsh plant as you see from the photo and even the owner of the Victorian Nursery should know this very well.
How many Salt marshes do you think there are up the cliffs of Dover.
Quite frankly he is the most dishonest nursery person in the country.
JB.
alan refail
KG Regular

Johnboy wrote:Hi Alan,
I'll say it for you 'Oh Dear'!!!

Thanks Johnboy.

I wonder how many people buy their potatoes from him!

Fifty pence a tuber :roll:
tracie
KG Regular

Do you think I should cancel my order and ask for my money back?

Tracie
Primrose
KG Regular

Ah samphire - I would love to be able to grow it. It's delicious. The only place we've ever been able to buy is when we go down to Eastbourne where the fisherman's shop on the seafront sells it.
But I suspect it would be very difficult to find an authentic supplier for the genuine plant. If anybody does know a supplier, I'd be interested to know.
alan refail
KG Regular

Hi Tracie

Any update on the samphire?
tracie
KG Regular

Hi all,

samphire update.

We have had 1 small cutting from the plant with another one to follow soon. I must admit that it will I think take a long time to get a decent crop/plant size.

The plants have been put into a 7 " pot with compost and a lot of sand mixed. Originally it grew on the kitchen windowsill, but now the pot is outside. It needs watering with salt water.

It hs not been attacked by slugs or ants and seems to be maintenance free but I wish the instructions had been a bit better. Do I need to leave some to flower for next years seed?, will it die off completely in the winter and sprout again in ths spring, or will it just die and that will be that. Any help would be great.

Thanks

Tracie
alan refail
KG Regular

Hi Tracie

Sorry not to have got back sooner.

My understanding is that Salicornia europaea is an annual, so you will need to let it flower and try and save the seed - a single one per flower - and try sowing them next year.

I suspect that Victoriana do not go into detail as they don't want it known they are selling an annual!
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Found this opn their website Tracie.

How To Grow Samphire

The most critical issue for growing Samphire is that it requires saline conditions. Whether grown in the open ground or in a container it is best watered with a saline solution (1 teaspoon of proper sea salt in a pint of water).

Samphire prefers a light sandy soil (or well drained) and a sunny position. A warm sheltered position is ideal and protection from the worst of our Winters will ensure continuity from year to year.

The Health Benefits Of Samphire

Currently Samphire is little used in herbal medicine. That said, it is known to be a good diuretic and research is currently being undertaken in its use as potential treatment for obesity. It has a high Vitamin C content and along with its properties to aid digestion is also thought to relieve flatulence. Reaserch is also currently being undertaken into it reputed benefits to those with Kidney complaints.

Pickled Samphire

Ingredients
Samphire
Salt
Vinegar

Method
Gather the young green Samphire the end of July – before it flowers. Break into 2” lengths, lay on a dish and sprinkle with dry salt. Leave for 24 hours. Drain, then cook gently until tender in enough vinegar to just cover it, but don’t allow it to get soft; plain vinegar is best for this as the Samphire has its own spicy flavour. Seal down securely in hot jars.
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic