Lasagna Gardening - again!

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

ken
KG Regular

I've been reading up on 'Lasagna Gardening'. I know there have been some favourable comments recently on the forum. What struck me was the huge amount of organic material the author recommends using - a layer 18 inches to 2 foot thick,on top of wet cardboard or newspaper. Has anyone tried it and does anyone know whether you can get away with using less? I fancied using 'LG' for a long border we have that needs clearing. At the moment I've got about a cubic yard of good compost, which would cover a piddly little area, 3ft x 6ft.
peat
KG Regular

lasagne gardening is not new, it is known as sheet composting. If you are using it on a border that hasn't a very bad perennial weed problem you won't need it that thick. You can also mulch with any organic material when it becomes handy. ie. lawn mowings, shredded paper, sawdust (mulch only or will denitrify the soil, but safe as a mulch).
Pete
skype me on pmrout
"To be a successful farmer, one must first know the NATURE of the SOIL" Xenophon , Oeconomicus 400 B.C.
ken
KG Regular

Thanks, Peat. So how mean can I be if I get the perennials out (of which the worst is bramble)? Six inches? Eight inches?
Before long, I'll have loads of grass cuttings available. Last year I found I could convert these grass cuttings into compost fairly quickly, mixing them with shredded paper.
peat
KG Regular

do you have other plants in the border you want to keep or is it all weed? you can lay your lawn mowings on in 1"-2" layers without composting. With brambles, unless you use a weedkiller, you will need a thick layer of cardboard. Basically from what I can see with lasagne gardening is the depth is to give enough root run for the plants until the cardboard is broken down and taken into the soil.
It would be better to grow annuals for the first year as the soil level will drop and leave the roots of perennials exposed .
Pete
skype me on pmrout
"To be a successful farmer, one must first know the NATURE of the SOIL" Xenophon , Oeconomicus 400 B.C.
ken
KG Regular

There are one or two plants that have survived from earlier attempts to bring this strip under control. They cn be moved. Basically it's mostly tufty grass. I've got some seed potatoes I can put in, though I realise I'll have to cover them quite deeply because of the sinking phenomenon you mention. Beyond that, yes, lashings of grass cuttings coming up soon. I've got a load of seeds sown in trays - mainly of preennials that can be expected to flower in their first year. I guess the option is between planting them out when they're big enough, and continuing to top up with mulch, or delay planting them out until the autumn when everything has settled. Thanks again for your comments.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic