Fresh Chicken Manure - in the heap??

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

WoodyLord
KG Regular

I've just been given a small sack of ultra fresh chicken manure. I was going to put it in the compost bin which won't see the light of day until next year as we have 3. At the mo there won't be many grass cuttings going in with this bag but there would be with future bags. Am I right in thinking I shouldn't mix it with the grass but OK with the peelings/weeds going in right now?? Is there anything else I need to know about chicken poo apart from the smell - weeds/nasty diseases/parasites? How long before it's safe to use???
I've suggested to my friend we swap sacks of manure for future veg as I assume it's really good stuff??? I know my grandpa used to hang tights filled with 6x in his water butt and his veg was amazing and he lived to 101!
Many thanks.
pongeroon
KG Regular

Hello WoodyLord. I'm no compost expert, but I have been using chicken poo mixed with straw in layers with green stuff, and it seems to be cooking up nicely. Last year we used fresh poo direct onto the ground, but VERY sparingly, as it is hot stuff. It seemed to work OK.
WoodyLord
KG Regular

Thanks for the reply, I'll chuck it in.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic