Florence Fennel

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Snip
KG Regular

I planted fennel this year from seed, after 4 attempts I got it to take in root trainers. However although it has done well, transplanted out into the garden I don't seem to have the lovely bulbs that I would have expected but more of a long shoot that now appears to be bolting. Are there any tips for next year?
Mike Vogel
KG Regular

I think it was on TV, or perhaps the KG mag, that I saw/read that it is advisable to sow the florence fennel in high summer. But I can't remember why! I did this in July and they look very healthy, but no bulbs till autumn I reckon.
Please support Wallace Cancer Care
http://www.wallacecancercare.org.uk
and see
http://www.justgiving.com/mikevogel

Never throw anything away.
Snip
KG Regular

Thanks Mike just as a point of clarification did you sow seeds directly into the ground in mid July or transfer from the potting shed to the ground then?

Ta all very handy hints. :P
Monika
KG Regular

Snip,
When fennel bolts, it usually means it's had a shock in its life, either when transplanting or, most likely, a sudden temperature drop, probably at night. I sow our fennel in roottrainers and then plant them out under fleece before keeping them in the open from about July onwards. Some of them still bolt, but the majority are ok.
Beryl
KG Regular

I think as Monika says they do need continuous growth with no check. I sow mine in modules end of March and plant out when they start to get their feathery fonds, under fleece till the middle of June when I remove it. They do need plenty of water in dry spells else they will bolt.

Later sowings for me anyway it is always too dry to make it worth while.

Beryl.
FelixLeiter
KG Regular

I sow direct in April. Sowing into modules, even root-trainers, and then transplanting is a sure way to encourage it to bolt. September sown fennel is often successful, if you've a well-drained soil to avoid undue winter wet.
Allotment, but little achieved.
pongeroon
KG Regular

I think I sowed mine around the end of June, but most of it has gone very tall and thin due to shading out by a large twisted willow which we didn't get around to lopping last winter.

So another sowing has been made at the allotment which seems to be doing OK.

So lots of light needed!
Colin_M
KG Regular

Hi Snip, Fennel seems to grow reliably on our plot every year. Like you, I have started this in both roottrainers and in ordinary pots. Whilst we sometimes get some that bolt, this is usually only when it's not had enough moisture. If you get a dry period, make sure it gets watered.

This year, I've sown two crops (one in the Spring and one in early August). The second crop is doing really well and should give us some fo use in salads even if it doesn't heart up completely for braising (my favourite).
Mike Vogel
KG Regular

Snip, I sowed directly into the ground. I was quite lucky with rain falling just as I was beginning to think they needed watering. Germination wasn't 100%, but I had sown thinly and didn't need to thin much. I've kept weeds away from the row and watered with SM3 or my own nettle or weed tea [see the thread on home-made liquid feeds]. The ground had been used for early spuds [Arran Pilot].
Please support Wallace Cancer Care
http://www.wallacecancercare.org.uk
and see
http://www.justgiving.com/mikevogel

Never throw anything away.
Tigger
KG Regular

I sowed straight into the ground between a row of parsnips and marigolds (followed by carrots) and have had the best yield in 15 years! Thinned them out for salads, dressings, decoration, stocks and flavourings. Ready to use now as salads. Hope to finish off in stews and winter flavouring.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic