Cape Gooseberry

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Essexboy
KG Regular

Anybody know anything about these? I had a couple of plants given to me in the spring, I planted these in large tubs and they have grown in to large lush plants. According to the limited information in my book on fruit growing, they should have flowered and started to form small fruit by now. What I do not know, is they fruit in the first year, or, if indeed the plants are perennials so to speak? I was surprised to find out that they are a member of the potato family. Any guidance greatly appreciated!
Regards, Essexboy.
MrsL
KG Regular

I've always grown them as annuals; they shouldl be at least flowering by now, though; are they under glass?
FelixLeiter
KG Regular

Cape Gooseberries tend to flower and fruit very late. You may just about now be starting to see some flowers, which are small and dull and rather hard to spot. It's my experience that they like a lot of warmth and sun and a fairly restricted root run if they are to do more than just produce a lot of lush foliage and long stems but little else besides. They are naturally perennial and they will flower and fruit a little earlier from overwintered plants. The fruits are small and sparse, so don't expect high yields, just a few as a gourmet treat. They will keep for months once picked, if they are left inside their papery calyxes.
Allotment, but little achieved.
realfood
KG Regular

I am growing a dwarf variety in the greenhouse in an old tomato grow bag. They are flowering and fruiting their little hearts out, with hundreds of fruits forming.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I grew one a couple of years ago in the greenhouse border and it almost took over the greenhouse. It produced masses of fruit which were quite tangy, but with a toffee like after taste, and they weren't particularly late. They do taste better when left to get really ripe and stay in good condition for ages.

It over wintered happily in a cold greenhouse and I trimmed it down to a manageable size.
hilary
KG Regular

Hi,
I have grown some for the first time this year and not being sure left one in the greenhouse which is fruiting nicely and planted two outdoors. Since blight seems to have struck the potatoes here, but not my outdoor tomatoes (yet) I suppose the cape gooseberries may be affected? Anybody had any experience of this - and how far back do you cut the plant to overwinter?
Any advice would be helpful.
Thanks
Hilary
FelixLeiter
KG Regular

There are two different species of Physalis which find their way into seed catalogues and into our gardens labelled as Cape Gooseberry. One is a semi-shrubby, ranging plant which is the true Cape Gooseberry (P. peruviana). The other is a smaller, compact plant which produces prolifically and is more correctly known as the Ground Cherry (P. pruinosa). The two enjoy similar conditions, but the latter fruits early and plentifully and is altogether a better garden plant, in my view.

As far as overwintering is concerned, the true Cape Gooseberry is perennial. Most of its limbs will die down, which is your cue as to where to prune, back to live growth. Ground Cherry, on the other hand, does not persist but then is quicker and easier from seed each year.
Allotment, but little achieved.
hilary
KG Regular

Hi
Thanks for that information - have checked the seed catalogue and mine are the true Physalis perivoana - so perennial and will treat as as such. Does also explain why few fruits have formed. Will see if affected by blight .....
Hilary
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic