Aji chillies

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Marken
KG Regular

Does anybody have experience with this type of chilli?
The information on the packet said that they are chillies from a different branch of the capsicum family (capsicum baccatum) and that they are not hot at all. (Now I too wonder why on earth I am growing chillies that have no heat? What was I thinking of? Well apparently they are grown for their flavour and anyway I just love to grow anything a bit different).

Having said all that, information on the web says that they are mild/medium heat. Confused? Me too.

I sowed in late January and two plants are already three feet tall and have chillies about two inches long. They are still green. Does anyone know if they have to colour up to get the flavour? And...are they hot or not...
Elsa
KG Regular

Aji chillies can be hot or mild. Those I grow are called Friar's Hat, they are hanging, bellshaped, very mild and red when ripe. Very decorative and good eating, slightly different taste from ordinary mild peppers. Delicious!
Marken
KG Regular

Thanks Elsa. I'm already dreaming up recipes using loads of these mild tasty chillies. Hope I'm not disappointed!
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Hi Marken,

Did you get them from Real Seeds? I got an Aji variety from them a couple of years ago and it was said to be not a hot variety, but I had quite a shock when I used them as some were blow your head off hot and some were mild and tasty, from the same plant. It was like playing Russian roulette.
Primrose
KG Regular

Plum Pudding - you raise an interesting question about different strength of chillis from the same plant because I regularly grow a larger variety called Hungarian Wax which are supposed to be a mild chilli (we don't like the really fiery ones). I don't think they're an F1 variety but a couple of years, ago from saved seed, ago we had the same experience. Some of the fruits, all picked at the same stage when deep red, were unbelievably hot which has given us a problem. They're all frozen whole in the same bag and when using them now we never really know quite how much to use.
Marken
KG Regular

PlumPudding - yes they are from Real Seeds. They did say that stressing the plants will produce heat near the seeds. I'm doubly looking forward to tasting them now. My son likes hot chillies so we'll be pleased either way.
Essexboy
KG Regular

Hello Marken,
When I lived in the Falkland islands, we used to get tins of Aji chillies from Punta Arenas in Chile. They looked like tinned tomatoes, that is where the resemblance ended, as they were unbelievably hot! I assume this is the same variety? A gretat trick to play on greenhorns ( it happened to me) was to mix them in with tinned toms and stand back to watch the results.
Regards, Essexboy.
Marken
KG Regular

This reminds me of the time I worked in a supermarket. The store manager liked to come and sample some of the fresh fruit, so we rubbed a plum with some fresh chilli and positioned it so it was the first thing he saw as he entered the store room. He fell for the bait, took a bite and left really quickly without saying anything. I dont think he tried much of anything after that!
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Marken,
Same meat different gravy! When an apprentice in the RAF a certain drill instructor would walk into the billet with white gloves on and if the top of the door didn't even have any dust he would say 'filthy! You are all confined to camp'. After about 6 weeks of this I decided to put some 'cherry black' on the top of the door. He ran his white glove over the top looked at it and never uttered a word and he never came to the billet with white gloves again!
JB.
Marken
KG Regular

Ah, Johnboy, the stuff of happy memories!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic