Neglected raised beds

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

toffeeman
KG Regular

I have 4 raised beds which are looking pretty sad at the moment. I rotate every year but have been a bit lazy over the last couple of years regarding soil fertilization. I want to use the beds this year but suspect that they are 'undernourished'. Is it too late to add garden compost? What can I add to the soil at this late stage to give myself a chance of a decent crop?
peter
KG Regular

No, you are not too late to add compost from your bin, well rotted manure, diy-shed soild improver, or any fertiliser of your choice.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
toffeeman
KG Regular

Many thanks for that. What is DIY-shed soil improver - never heard of that one?

Can I still get my early spuds in and fertilize at the same time?
peter
KG Regular

Any of the cheaper bagged potting composts, specific soil "improvers", topsoil, or composted woodchip products.

Even growbags, when they're pushing them out at £1.99 a growbag it makes sense to use some just as an addition, well forked in, to a raised bed. :D

I dribble a bag of well rotted horse manure from a stables where they used chopped hmep as the bedding, its like damp chainsaw sawdust with the odd unbroken horse turd in it, along the bottom of my spud trench.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
nemo
KG Regular

we have always used fresh manure for planting potatoes the manure comes from my father he uses little to no chemicals so the manure is clean.. according to many books fresh manure shouldn't be used to grow anything .my family have always used fresh manure and so to have many of my neighbours.if you can source manure with no added chemicals you should try it in a small patch of your potato bed to see the results for your self.

i am a great believer in seaweed i collect many car trailer loads each winter-spring i only collect seaweed that has been washed up on the shore i never fresh seaweed that is still attached to rocks etc.it contains moderate levels of many usefull nutrients so its definitely worth the effort.it rots down quickly.of course if you aren't near the coast you can get seaweed dust ,seaweed meal and seaweed based soil improver's in Ireland i get it from http://www.fruithillfarm.com
regards nemo
goldilox
KG Regular

:lol: If the manure comes from your father, does that mean it's "humanure" :lol: :lol:
Beryl
KG Regular

I was interested in Nemos reply about using fresh manure because we have been having a discussion today on the lottie about using just the straw from fresh manure to mulch strawberries.

I would never do this because I feel the straw will have been soaked with urine and would always use clean straw to put under fruit.

Our manure is always delivered fresh so I never use it straight away and like to let it rot down, layered with other green stuff.

Be interesting to hear what anyone else might think about this.

Beryl.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Nemo,
I expect that your father lays the manure aside daily and therefore it has time to temper a little.
The point that people seem to be missing is that Potatoes prefer an acidic condition. So just as long as the manure has been stored for a time, and not 'freshly laid', then it is not bad at all.
You certainly will not get Potato Scab as this is really the result of growing in soil that has too high a PH.
JB.
Primrose
KG Regular

The first year I ever grew tomatoes, when I didn't know much about growing vegetables, I heaped several buckets of fresh manure from the roadside from passing horses onto my tomato bed. I didn't dig it in - just broke the clumps down and left it on the top of the soil and I had one of the biggest crops I'ver ever had. The tomatoes didn't seem to be affected or burnt at all, so I've always been just a little sceptical about the warnings of using fresh manure although I guess it would be too strong for very young seedlings.
nemo
KG Regular

the manure is usually about 4 weeks old at most when i collect it . before fertilizers were common place fresh manure was always used .i have planted spuds into manure that was only a few days old.i know the books say its not good to use fresh manure but my family have been doing it this way for decades and most of my neighbours too .other neighbours use pelleted man made fertilizer 6-7-16 i would trust the natural fertilizer .my father animals make the manure goldilox we don't use humanure in my area but if it works for you well and good only joking
regards nemo
goldilox
KG Regular

Well we did try watering with the run-off from the septic tank after it had gone through a volcanic filter, but it was too smelly - couldn't cope with it. I suppost that was humanure in a way!!
nemo
KG Regular

one mans waste (rubbish)is another mans gold
toffeeman
KG Regular

Friend works at a stable and managed to get hold of a few barrows full of 3 year old manure. Looks like very good stuff.
David
KG Regular

Does this apply to cabbages as well? I'm told not to use manure on cabbage beds in the same season, like carrotts but have always been confused.

If I use three year old composted manure can I put it on my cabbage beds now or does it have to be on the bed for a season before I plant?

or is that all hokum and I can use fresh stuff like our Irish friend?

Thanks
David
Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids.
hilary
KG Regular

Hi all,
Looking at the comments on horse manure I am wondering if there is some confusion with actual horse droppings ( from the road) and manure which is the droppings with straw and urine mixed in. I can see that the 'pure' horse droppings would not be such a problem as it is essentially just digested grass and cereals whereas the manure would contain urine and therefore potentially scorch plants with the release of ammonia. Does my logic make sense or am I wrong?
Regards
Hilary
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic