AUBERGINE DILEMMA

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

ROD 'MR CHILLI' HOLMES
KG Regular

Hello all again,
PROBLEM
My Aubergine seedlings (Red Stripy) have decided to give up the ghost, they have just keeled over and snapped off.
They were planted on 9th Jan and potted on into peat pots on 12 Feb.
My Red Egg & Mixed Aubergines seem to be o.k
They have always been in a propagator (unheated)
Any ideas whats amiss :?:
Chillies make the heart grow fonder
Chantal
KG Regular

Don't know about your aubergines but the titles of your postings could make a good book series

"The Broad Bean Mystery"
"The Aubergine Dilemma"

Can't wait to see what comes next!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Helenclare
KG Regular

My aubergine seedlings have keeled over and died but I know its because I let them get chilled overnight in the greenhouse...I was worried that they were getting too little light on a north facing windowsill so I popped them in my (unheated) greenhouse on a sunny day but forgot to bring them in at night. At least being "leggy "wasn't fatal, but getting cold was!!! :(
mazmezroz
KG Regular

I think it's what's called 'damping off'. The seedlings don't like being inside cos they stretch for the light, get spindly, then the stems are weak. Then all your careful watering just means that the stems rot and 'plop' over they go. Occupational hazard of planting early in this country I think.

Good luck with the rest of them, and it's still not to late to have another go with your deceased variety. This time they may not have to spend quite such a long time indoors - as soon as poss, put them outside and let them have a gentle blow in the wind. It strengthens their little stems (ahhhh!!)

Someone else I know has advised me to 'brush' spindly seedlings to toughen them up - just gently waft your hand backwards and forwards across them to agitate them a bit.
paul.r

Chantel. I thought about cucumber conundrum but how about "custody of the pumpkin" ?..paul.
Helenclare
KG Regular

I have started some more off too replace the deceased ones , so I will try giving them a little stroke on a daily basis to toughen them up a little. I now have one of these green self assembly greenhouses without its plastic zip up cover erected in my south facing lounge ( much to my husband disgust) to try and give the seedligs maximum light.
So far I have aubergines, tomatoes, chilli peppers, sweet peppers, parslet, basil, leeks, brussels calabrese and artichokes growing...all 4 shelves are pretty full......cant you tell the weathers been bad and I am keen to get started on my new allotment!! :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic