Moving trained fruit trees

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Deb P
KG Regular

Can anyone give me some advice as to the likelyhood of success/failure in trying to dig up and transplant two trained pear trees please? I have two 'U' shaped pears that I planted about 6 years ago in my front garden, they have remained trained and fairly compact, but I'm considering digging them up and moving them to the back garden, either into half barrels or into another bed. When would be the time to attempt a move, if indeed at all? They both still have leaves at the moment, presumably fully dormant would be best? Would they survive a bit of root pruning do you think? I'm only considering doing it as I'm fed up of them getting knocked by my children getting in and out of the car as they planted quite close to the edge of the bed (my fault!)

Hi Debbie,
Could you give us an indication as to the actual size of the trees to be moved.
Deb P
KG Regular

They are both approx. 5 foot tall, trained into double 'u' shapes about 4 feet wide.
richard p
KG Regular

im not an expert , but would suggest now is a good time, try to move as big a lump of soil and root ball as possible, keep the tree well watered next year, prune hard to reduce the amount of leaves to reduce water loss through the leaves. dont enrich the planting hole with fertilizers, that will encourage leaf growth and hence water loss before the roots have recovered enough to supply it.not relevant in this case but there are lorry mounted machines that will lift 20 foot trees with several tons of earth which are successfully used commercially. why not try moving one, then do the other in a years time if the first survives

at the size might be possible, but i'm sure they'd be better not moved if you can avoid it.

as an aside, i moved about 10 trees back in the summer!! when i moved house, as i knew new people wouldnt be at all interested in them. All were 2/3y old.

i know received wisdom is moving trees in summer will kill them in 5 seconds flat, but it actually worked.

I dug them up, and then immediately replanted in the same place, and watered lots for a week or 2. they all looked a bit sad, but perked up.

So, when we moved the trees finally they just pulled straight up, and didnt seem at all affected.

overall, i think they are about a year behond where they would be, but all have survived and looking good.

so, if anyone every HAS to move trees in summer, this could be the answer?

Stu
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic