chitting disaster?

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

bigpepperplant
KG Regular

I went down to the polytunnel today and noticed that nearly all my potatoes I'd put out for chitting had wet bottoms where they were in the egg box/plug trays. I turned them over and they dried within a few minutes. There's no water around so do I assume they've been frosted? And if so, are they for the dustbin?
Ian F

This happened to me a couple of years ago when I tried to chit in an unheated shed, and yes I am afraid that they were all dead.

I would not risk planting them, and would suggest that you buy fresh stock - it does not cost a lot, and they will easily make up for any lost time at this time of year.
bigpepperplant
KG Regular

how depressing, but thanks for the answer...
fen not fen
KG Regular

My chitting potatoes were frosted a few years ago, but I planted them anyway and didn't notice any difference. It probably depends on how cold it got and for how long, but if they aren't mush I'd give them a whirl...
bigpepperplant
KG Regular

ok, I'll give it a whirl. It's weird cos the nights have been mild lately in kent so maybe it's not frost but something to do with condensation in the polytunnel. Has anyone else had trouble under plastic with this?
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Bigpepper,
Potatoes that have been damaged by frost generally
deteriorate quite rapidly so you should know for sure quite soon.
If they are continuing to 'chit' they should he perfectly ok.
Fingers crossed for you!
JB.
Allan
KG Regular

If you ever get into the situation where the main batch is a writeoff you might like to know that the smallest tubers can be grown on successfully, also that cuttings from the shoots will root quite easily by normal methods. Let us hope that it never comes to that.
Allan
Chez
KG Regular

Hello Bigpepperplant

It does sound like condensation to me. We don't chit in our unheated greenhouse for that reason, as it seems to be quite damp - it is all hardcore too, no soil. We put our harvested CP pumpkins in there last year and had to keep turning them over as their bottoms got so wet. Eventually we had to move them up to the house, as their skins started to deteriorate with the moisture. They have been fine since being in the dry.

I am sure your potatoes will be fine, but I would try to find somewhere drier for continued chitting.
The cow is of the bovine ilk
One end is moo, the other, milk.
bigpepperplant
KG Regular

hi, thanks for all the replies
yes I tried hanging french beans up to 'dry' in the tunnel last autumn - that was a disaster - they basically rotted. Guess I better take all those potatoes home...
lizzie
KG Regular

Hi Bigpepper

I leave my spuds in the boot of the car and they're fine. I don't chit them as such, it's just handy to keep them out of the way in the house. I've done this for years and they're fine. Make sure they're well packed with paper or something and it won't be a problem
Lots of love

Lizzie
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic