Seaweed as fertiliser

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Monika
KG Regular

Can anybody help with information on fresh seaweed as a garden fertiliser? Friends who have recently moved to Brittany have a plentiful supply of the stuff but don't know whether, how or when to apply it.

Any help would be appreciated.
Monika
KG Regular

I have just realised that there is already a lot of info on seaweed in the KG Forum archives, including quite recently (just show that my memory is like a sieve - old age!!).
Jane
KG Regular

Hi

I actually posted a question about using seaweed as a mulch. I live on Alderney in the Channle iSlands and it is used quite extensively on this iland and commercially on jersey on Potatoes( the famous Jersey Royals) It seems to work quite well with most veg as far as I can see and the doesn't seem to be any issus about the salt content. My question related to how fruit trees managed with it as I wanted to mulch an asparagus beds which is planted near to fan trained/ minarette apple trees.Haven't been able to get an answer to that one yet!
nemo
KG Regular

i make seaweed liquid made from washed seaweed put into a barrel then add water stir the contents every now and then after a month or so drain off then thin it down this can be used to soak peas etc used as a spray to be used on the leafs and also used to feed plants.
each autumn i collect seaweed that is washed up on the strand then i put it on the veg bed this acts as a mulch and a soil conditioner. i also use it around my soft fruit plants they have a seaweed mulch most of the year.it is great put around cabbage etc to deter slugs due to the salt content.it is also added to my compost heap .in the summer time when we get good sunny weather i go along the strand and collect the dried out seaweed this is so dry that it crumbles up in my hand this is used when i pot up tomatoes etc i only wash the seaweed to make the liquid seaweed feed all the rest is used unwashed
i hope this helps
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic