Liquid gold - again

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Lyn
KG Regular

Can anyone clarify once and for all whether it is safe to use my own "produce" as a compost activator? I have been told, and also read, that being a female, my personal contribution will do more harm than good owing to "hormones". I have asked this question on other fora (ums/i), but no one seems to be able to give a definitive answer. My point is this: Why are male hormones more beneficial? We cannot prevent female hormones entering the soil - roughly 50% of all organism detritus and remains are female. Given that cow manure is entirely female and chicken manure predominantly so, should we be questioning its use? Or does it all stem from the fact that some gardening expert in Victorian or Edwardian times once recommended the use of male urine (old fashioned delicacy preventing any reference to females in this context). Any ideas?
richard p
KG Regular

unless anyone comes up with some specific research i suggest you carry on. it probably boils down to its easier for males to get the product in a bottle :D
Colin_M
KG Regular

Can't say I'm an expert on this. However you may find the following book of interest:
http://greenbooks.co.uk/store/product_i ... aa20f34b9e

This apparantly even tells you about how the Romans used it as mouthwash :shock:

Good luck - let us know what results you get :)

Colin
peter
KG Regular

Chantal should be along soon, she can tell you all about it. :twisted:
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Lyn,
Many moons ago now (damn near 50 years) somebody did some research with FYM and the results showed that manure from the bull was more nutritious because cows lost a lot of nutrition due to lactation. He said it was therefore better to use the manure from a bull. However he didn't test non lactating cows and didn't say cows manure should not be used.
Surprisingly FYM is totally soddened in urine male and female and it is impossible to separate it out.
I took the whole experiment as a load of old Bullshit
then and even now I am of the same opinion.
Certainly there may be a difference twixt male and female urine but it doesn't mean that it should not be used. You go ahead and I bet the results will be the same.
Have a nice time now!
JB.
Chantal
KG Regular

Hi Lyn (thank you Peter :wink: )

I bought the book Liquid Gold a couple of years ago and it's well worth a read.

The only reason NOT to pee on your compost heap is if you are on long term medication. They say that if you are a healthy person you can water your veg (dilute 10:1), drink it (lot's of Hollywood stars do this :shock: ), wash your hair in it (get's rid of dandruff), soak your feet in it (get's rid of athlete's foot), brush your teeth in it (whitens them), wash your face in it (softens the skin), etc etc. First pee of the day is most effective apparently.

I have a composting toilet at the allotment. It's a proper elsan toilet but filled with straw. When the straw turns black I empty it onto one of the compost heaps, rinse it out and start again.

I have a large plastic container with the lid (ex cat litter) which I pee into at home during the summer. I take this to the allotment and either empty into a bin or dilute and water THE ROOTS of the beans and sweetcornn (don't tell Tim
:lol:)

I actually feel guilty about peeing and flushing it away as it's an amazing and valuable resource. Luckily, you never run out and can increase production by drinking plenty of water :lol: :lol:
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
johnsgirl
KG Regular

I can remember when I was about 5 years old when my grandma was changing my sisters nappy she would rub my face with it as she said it was good for the complexion! I soon learned not to stand too close.
Geoff
KG Regular

My wife's farming uncle always used to say the fart from a bullock was more use than the shit from a cow so that agrees with JB.
But look what bitches do to lawns!
But as there are no bitches on the forum and only one reptile that I know of I'm sure there won't be any problems.
Lyn
KG Regular

Thanks everybody for your comments - I shall now carry on as usual!
Regards, Lyn
alan refail
KG Regular

Here's another idea for it, ladies :wink: :wink:

edited to add link :oops: :oops:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/earth/hi/earth_ne ... 404757.stm
Last edited by alan refail on Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Geoff
KG Regular

Is it me or you missing something Alan?
alan refail
KG Regular

Geoff wrote:Is it me or you missing something Alan?

Me :oops: :oops: :oops:

Now edited
Parsons Jack
KG Regular

So that's why that old bloke in the post office queue always smells of urine :lol:
Cheers PJ.

I'm just off down the greenhouse. I won't be long...........
JohnN
KG Regular

Ok, so you've tried Pinot Grigio and Pinot Noir - now's the time to try the wine for us old folk - Pinot More :D
Compo
KG Regular

After years of hearing the advice on here that it is good to pee on your compost heap I have heard at least two so called experts, one on gardener's question time, and another on local Somerset Radio both state that adding something like liquid gold to the compost heap is not good as adding nitrogen does not ease rotting process. They were more college based experts rather than the much experienced professors on here whom I tend to respect more. So i am confused but am going with the flow (pun intended!!) I await the definitive answer though.
If I am not on the plot, I am not happy.........
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic