Where to grow Asparagus?

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

vivie veg
KG Regular

I have three rows for Runner beans and these are approx 8 feet apart. I was wondering if I could plant Asparagus in the gap in between. My thinking is that the runner beans would not be producing any shade until mid to late June and by that time the sun is so high in the sky that it casts very little shade anyway.

Also my soil is very heavy clay and the gaps between the runner beans are raised due to dumping the clay from the bean trenches, so that I could incorporate planty of organic matter into the trenches. Likewise I could put loads of organic matter on the the raised area for the asparagus.

However I have loads of space so could plant the asparagus out in the open, with no shading or protection from the wind!
I don't suffer from insanity .... I enjoy it!

Vivianne
vivie veg
KG Regular

Another thought struck me while in the bath.....Could I use the bits between the Runner beans for my Rhubarb? as the rhubarb does not mind shade.
I don't suffer from insanity .... I enjoy it!

Vivianne
nog
KG Regular

Asparagus like Artchoke dont like their root gatting wet. So If you are on clay a raised bed in full sun would be best you need a 4ft wide bed.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic