Asparagus - Crowns or Seeds?

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Chez
KG Regular

We are late in having our first asparagus bed ready for crowns this season, so are wondering if we should go down the seed route to buy some time. I appreciate that male plants are required and understand that it is now possible to get close to 'all male' seed. Is this correct? And would we be compromising in any way by choosing seed over crowns? Or is it better to wait until next year and put crowns in?
The cow is of the bovine ilk
One end is moo, the other, milk.

Hi Chez,

I spoke to a chap at Thompson and Morgan regarding this as my bed is being planted this spring when the crowns arrive.

The concencus on the matter was that seeds are very variable in the quality of plant that they produce so they sow seed and sell the best crowns that are produced from that. He also said to steer clear of two year old crowns and go for the one year old ones as these travel, transplant and establish much better than two year old ones, and you still cant crop them for a year.

I have gone for 15 conovers collosal and 15 Ginlim,the latter being F1 and all male.
pigletwillie
KG Regular

Sorry Chez, crashed pc and it didnt log me back in, that post was me
Kindest regards Piglet

"You cannot plough a field by turning it over in your mind".
jane E
KG Regular

I'd spend this year getting your bed weed free or as near as can and sow your seed. Pick out your best. I sowed Connovers colossal years ago and they came up like cress. I don't think I'd do them again. That way you would lose a year but you would have a much more trouble free bed and a cheaper venture.
Chez
KG Regular

Thanks Piglet & Jane. On the basis of your comments we may just stick with crowns. It does sound as though seeds are the cheaper option, but not necessarily the better. With the bed area able to accommodate 120 crowns, it is going to be an expensive exercise in either time or money (or both!), so we want to make sure we maximise the chance of success.

We'll continue clearing the bed and if we get it done in time for this year, great. If not, well we'll leave getting them until next year. After all, it isn't just the clearing is it - I seem to recall a previous contributor comments on how much work and time it was just digging the bed. :shock: And spring is springing ever faster it seems to me.

We will be buying only F1 varieties (including Gijnlim), despite Connover's Colossal being a popular choice with most. Perhaps it didn't do so well because it was seed grown?
The cow is of the bovine ilk
One end is moo, the other, milk.
Beccy
KG Regular

Why don't you do it over a couple of seasons? Prepare and plant part of the bed this year, part next? With half a bed that size you'll still have a decent crop from next year if you put crowns in this year. You'll get a crop a year earlier and spread the cost over two years.
Clive.
KG Regular

Hello,
We have some Asparagus crowns to purchase for a new bed being established at work and noted this site;...http://www.asparagus-in-kent.co.uk/ then the "grow your own" link

I think we may give them a try.??.

Has anyone on the Forum ordered from this source.??.

All the best,
Clive.
nog
KG Regular

T&M were doing order on line and get teh most expesive pack of seed free. I ordered some Asparagus seed using this offer. Yst to see what would happen.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic