Rhubarb from seed?

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Deb P
KG Regular

Has anyone has success growing rhubarb from seed? I've been given a packet of 'Victoria' with some other seeds I've purchased, so I'm tempted to try. Are there any advantages to starting with seed instead of crowns (apart from the cost)?
Allan
KG Regular

It can be grown from seed but it doesn't come totally true to type and takes several years to raise sufficient plants and pick out any winners. I did about a hundred plants and ended up with scrapping the lot and buying in known stock. My stock now consists of mainly Timperley Early, Stockbridge Arrow (for red stems) and some Caywood Delight.Most of my rhubarb is now in a polytunnel where it does fantastically well, in fact I ought to discard a lot as soon as I can get around to it. Get one growing in a pot if you can to start you off, twice I got slices of roots by post in mid-winter, they just went mouldy and died in spite of the fungicide soak.
Allan
vivie veg
KG Regular

Allan,

Before you get rid of your rhubarb, try putting a dust bin over it (NOW is ideal) to force it. I did this last year, picked the forced stems as needed and got just over 10 lbs of lovely sweet Rhubarb from a patch less than dustbin size. The root was then exhausted and could be thrown away.
Last edited by vivie veg on Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
I don't suffer from insanity .... I enjoy it!

Vivianne
nog
KG Regular

I grow mine from seed but it is temperemental and dosent like to travel. Its all happy in the greenhouse harden it off OK, Take to the allotment OK, plant it Ends. Sometimes its ok. Lots of manure before you plant it I say. I am planting another load of seeds today so we will see what happens.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic