How do you dig?

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Geoff
KG Regular

Only just started the magazine – been decorating!
How do you dig?
The hint in the magazine looks hard work to me. I cut the spade deep slit across my bed (10’) then work along it turning small spade loads sideways rather than in front of me, if you can understand what I mean. I get a nice defined clean trench and can move as much or as little soil each time depending on what I feel like and how wet it is.
How do you dig?
Chantal
KG Regular

Just like you Geoff. I do go from right to left and then left to right so that I don't end up all achy on just one side.

:D
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
lizzie
KG Regular

Hi all

I dig like you two, but only if i have to. I did yesterday and boy am I suffering today. I've got one of those long handled spades tha are pointy at the blade end. I could do with a fork with the same long handle. I use a bulb planter when doing spuds and chuck a bit of seaweed in the whole then cover the bed with manure.
Lots of love

Lizzie
pigletwillie
KG Regular

I dig on one plot but use a ladies or border spade as because its smaller than a standard spade you dont lift as much weight and its much less back destroying.

Even on my "digging" plot we maintain 4 ft wide beds and do not walk on them so every dig gets a little easier, especially the more organic matter that we incorporate
Kindest regards Piglet

"You cannot plough a field by turning it over in your mind".
spinningfishwife
KG Regular

I originally double dug every single one of my raised beds to the traditional two spits deep plus manure formula. It was hard work at the time....but I don`t have to dig at all now. I`m short so use a stainless steel border spade, and work left to right then right to left on the next row. Lots of tea breaks too!
Val
nog
KG Regular

I get my big rotavator out run it over the plot. Pick out all the weeds and other rubbish.
Cover the plot with Manure, Compost, leaves or what ever I have. Then run the rotavator over it again to mix it in.

All done no diggin.
Tigger
KG Regular

I don't dig either. I set up my raised beds 20 years ago and top dress them each autumn. Then I fluff them up with my Mantis (love it lots whatever the others think) and I'm ready to go each spring.
peter
KG Regular

If I have to I use an american (or cornish, or irish) style spade like Lizzie. Two ruptured discs really make you wonder why all british garden tools make you bend at the waist!

Its a bugger that no one does a similarly long handled fork though. :(

Rest of my soil wok is as NOG, over to Howard!
pigletwillie
KG Regular

Tescos are selling rather nice stainless steel forks and spades with ash D handles for around £12 and trowels again stainless steel and ash for £3. Not perhaps the top of the range but a good quality item for the price.
Kindest regards Piglet

nog
KG Regular

I will look into that I have a lovely stainless Border fork ash handle, that my mrs got me last christmas then used to dig out the rockery with, its great all the prongs now point differant directions.
Chantal
KG Regular

If you want long handle, stainless steel blade, ash handled forks and spades, Aldi usually stock them early in the year at about £8 each. I use them and swear by them as my back hurts far less with long handled tools (steady now Piglet).
Chantal

peter
KG Regular

Chantal, sorry couldnt resist the heading, how long are the handles on the Aldi forks?

For comparison the spade I use is the Spear & Jackson long-handled (rake/mop style handle)heart shaped blade spade and I could do with that being longer :cry:

Mother's neighbour broke a fork and made a chieftan tank of a fork out of it by slipping the remaining handle inside an alloy metal scaffold pole some six foot long, can I find such a tube, can I heck :evil:
nog
KG Regular

Scaffold pole is a light alloy, you can cut it easy with a hack saw. When the end splits or it gets bent they dump it. Just pop down your local scafold firm or where they are putting some up, armed with a few tins of beer and some Cokes and they will give you a bit. I made the netting frame for my allotment last year this way. Waited for a hot day and pulled up with some cold tins of coke and gave it the old, you dont happen to have any bent poles you dont want. We did end up walking up the road with two 18foot lengths but cut it down in the garden to more manageable bits and on the roof rack it went.

I could stick you 6ft in the post but dont know what your postie would say.
Chantal
KG Regular

Peter

The shaft on the fork and spade from Aldi are 87cm with the overall length of 116cm. Is that a long enough shaft for you?

:twisted:
Chantal

pigletwillie
KG Regular

Wow :shock:
Kindest regards Piglet

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic