germination problem on parsnip

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

hiroko clark
KG Regular

I have a problem on parsnip.
I put some seeds in spring but none germinated.
It was last year's seeds so I bought a new packet this year and put on the wet kitchen paper and left it in my kitchen (it's been a good few weeks now). I know parsnip is not easy one to germinate but every year we had plenty supply of it.
My question is when you put the seeds on the wet kitchen paper, does it to be kept in the dark or not.
Please someone help me otherwise we won't have any parsnip for next winter :cry:
Chantal
KG Regular

I germinate mine in the dark on the principle that if you planted them to germinate they'd be in the dark.

If it's any consolation I most of my fellow plot holders have no parsnips this year and I had very few until I germinated them off site. :roll:
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
retropants
KG Regular

more consolation from here.....
I have tried sowing 3 times this year, first under fleece, 2 seeds per station. They took a month to emerge, then the slugs ate them all. Replaced these, but only 3 or four came up, so filled gaps with more seeds (at stations as before) these germinated well, then when about 3-4 inches tall, the rabbit ate them all. Finally raked over the ground and sowed carrots instead, and threw in a few parnip seeds alongside in the next row, sown thickly in line this time.
These last ones, a few have come up, and are covered with fleece, and surrounded by pellets. I remain unhopeful! The carrots have all come up, along with a few volunteer parsnips from seeds that must have remained in the soil after I raked it over!!!
I may get about 3 if I am lucky. :P :P
madasafish
KG Regular

I have parsnip seedlings everywhere.. the last I planted were 10 years ago... they just sit and fester
Monika
KG Regular

This year I followed the advice given by Johnboy (I think it was him) and pre-germinated the parsnip seed (variety Countess) between damp kitchen towel on the boiler. When they had a good, sturdy rootlet, I sowed them in roottrainers and then planted them outside. And they look really strong plants now. The ones I sowed direct (twice!) have growing sporadically, in stops and starts, but they are still teeny and the germination rate must have been about 10%!
Chantal
KG Regular

I'm going to do the same thing from the start next year. In situ germination seems so hit and miss; some years masses, other years very little.

What I did find interesting was that when I germinated seeds on damp paper towels a couple of months ago (to fill the gaps) only around 5% of the seeds germinated at all. :?
Chantal

Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Chantal,
When germinating Parsnips I have always put the seeds on a bed of moist kitchen paper and covered with a layers of moist kitchen paper and at the very first sign of germination I plant immediately into loo rolls centres and I get an incredible germination rate.
JB.
Chantal
KG Regular

Hi JB, what I don't understand is why the germination rate was so poor on the damp paper. The seed was "fresh" this year from Kings (Tender & True) and I think around 5% is a pretty rubbish return. :?
Chantal

Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Chantal,
I must say 5% should be the failure rate not the germination rate.
I will explain my little set-up. I cut the bottom 1" from a 2 pint milk container which gives me a small Petri Dish. I then fold a piece of kitchen paper to fit the dish width wise and the fold it to fit the length. This generally leaves three folds. I put the double one at the bottom and sow the seeds on that then turn over the flap. I hold it secure and fill the dish with water and then allow it to drain off and squeeze very gently the last drop. Pop them on the top of my solid fuel boiler and they germinate within about three days normally. The top of the boiler is about 70C. I check on them for moisture as I go and really have had no real problems. I have had about 3% not taken when I have put them in the loo roll centres. Probably my clumsiness!!
May I suggest that you try my method and use the Kings seeds that failed, unless they are over the hill and far away by now!
I used the same method to germinate some Courgettes seeds quickly for Wellie a couple of years ago and I just popped them in the post to her and she had great success.
Wellie has very green fingers and I miss her input to the forum.
JB.
Chantal
KG Regular

Thanks JB. However, I have a problem with this as I have a combi boiler and my heating isn't on at this time of year (at least not much!). I may see if I can secure a small space near my sister's Aga to give it another go. Am I in time to do that for this year?
Chantal

Monika
KG Regular

Chantal, when I tried Johnboy's method (see my posting above) I thought it wasn't working because it took ages for the seeds to germinate on the boiler, longer than all other seeds I have ever tried that way (e.g. sweet peas) but luckily I left them and eventually (it may have been about 10 days, but I can't remember precisely), it did work!
Chantal
KG Regular

Hi Monika, I have germinated some this way this year but still don't have enough. :( Still, most of my plot neighbours have none at all so I suppose I should stop complaining. :roll:
Chantal

Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Chantal,
I think you should approach this with a 'nothing ventured nothing gained' attitude and say what the hell and have a bash. The very worst that could happen is to get some Parsnips. They may be small but who cares! We may have an Indian Summer and they may then even be whoppers!!
Ever the optimist!!
JB.
Chantal
KG Regular

Will do JB. I've decided that using one of the propagators for th job may be better than my sister's Aga. I've got control of them if they're near me and can check regularly. Thanks :D
Chantal

richard p
KG Regular

i set my parsnipps in loo rolls on the greenhouse bench, last years seed, about 30% germinated and are now ready to transplant , but within the last week another 30% ish have emerged, is it the cooler weather? or are they just fickle?
chantal im with jb, in the packet they wont grow and you will end up throwing the seeds away, stick the lot in if you get 10% youve got something to eat.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic