germination problem on parsnip

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

potager
KG Regular

Normally I don't have any problems sowing parsnip. I use to sow direct. The best germination is obtained when soil temperature is between 10 and 20 degrees Celtigrade, and the germination time is about two weeks.

I have learned that it's best to use fresh seeds. They do not keep well. If you store the seeds under optimal conditions, you kan keep them until next year, but after two years the germination percentage is decreasing very fast.

For fresh seeds I would expect not 95% germination, but something between 60 and 80%.

Another thing I learned is that parsnip seedlings are rather sensitive to lack of water in the early phase.
Kind regards
Brian Krause

See my photos of potager kitchen garden and ormamental vegetables.
FatB
KG Regular

We've had similar poor results from sowing in the ground, i.e.none, so I've tried a little experiment. I sowed some seed (I don't remember how many)in a pot as normal. When they came up (I don't remember how long!) I pricked out five of them into individual two and three quarter inch square pots in multi purpose compost and grew them on in the greenhouse until they were sturdy little plants about three or four inches tall with a potful of roots. Then they went out in a block one foot apart in a spare bit of polytunnel border (I don't remember when!!) and now they're like triffids, three foot high and looking really really great. What the roots will eventually be like I don't know but so far so good. I remember reading that you can't do this with parsnips, but hey, what the hell. If this does work then next year I plan to do it with a lot of things. Regards, FatB
Chantal
KG Regular

I fear when you dig them up they'll be all tops and a short tangled root for the bottom, if there's anything much at all. I wish you luck all the same, let us know how you get on.
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
WigBag
KG Regular

My parsnips failed too!! I normally do OK with sowing direct and have not had a problem until this year. I resowed in early May and when they didnt show put it down to being one of those years.
However about a couple of weeks ago up they popped, so did my carrots which had similarly failed. Fortunately my resowing of Parsnips was the remainder of the same packet but my carrots were not so I have no idea what I will be getting.
After reading this and other parsnip threads I will be trying the kitchen paper method along with direct sowing for next year, just in case!
WigBag
FatB
KG Regular

Thanks Chantal, I think you'll be proved right, and my resident expert agrees with you. I've used this system lots of times before with good success, swedes, turnips, kohl rabi, celeriac and even beetroot, but I know that parsnips are a different kettle of fish, so to speak. I'll confirm your diagnosis when the patients come out of the bed! Regards, FatB.
hiroko clark
KG Regular

After receiving replies, I covered seeds on the wet kitchen paper and after a week or so some of them started to show the little white tails!

In the future I will put the seeds on the wet kitchen paper, cover them and leave it under the kitchen sink where it's dark and warm.

However, dear madasafish, how do you do that?
Do you leave some of the parsnips in the ground until it flowers?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic