Broad beans

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

JacquieB
KG Regular

My October planted seeds are now 1/2 to an inch hugh and looking healthy despite the cold - which is more than you can say for me. If it is going to be really cold this winter, should I cover them with fleece? I would hate to lose ANY of my favourite veggie plants.
Esther Greentree
KG Regular

Hi Jacquie,

I cover mine with clear plastic crates, the kind you buy in hardware shops. They're anchored to the ground with tent pegs.

Esther
John
KG Regular

Hello Jacquie
Broad beans are really tough and will stand some pretty severe winter weather. The thing to watch out for weatherwise is several days of hard penetrating frosts when the frost doesn't lift during the daylight hours - a temporary covering of fleece should give enough protection. Put the fleece on before the frosts arrive though!
The other problem is mice, pigeons etc who find the plants very tempting when there's not much other greenery around. Keep some netting handy.

John
Allan
KG Regular

Mice will go for the leftover bean at the junction of top and root. Two approaches possible
1. If planting out remove the bean once the plant is big enough
2. Put a cut-off drinks bottle round the plant with the bottom edge buriedabout 3 inches deep.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic