Bulbs in Pots - what to do after flowering?

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Kevin Wright
KG Regular

I planted various daffodil bulbs in pots this year, and they provided a brilliant display, but what is the best thing to do with them now? Can I feed them in the pots and leave them to die down and re-pot next year? If so, what should I feed them with? Any advice much appreciated!
jane E
KG Regular

Easy - done it for years. Put the pots behind your shed or similarly out of sight. As they die back spread a handful of bonemeal on the top of each pot and forget about them. Repot about every 3 or 4 years, preferably with new bulbs. Just judge it on whether yours are declining. If they're not don't bother.I use grotty plastic pots that I don't mind being behind the shed for most of the year.
Monika
KG Regular

I feed them - like Jane, but then I plant them into the ground in the garden and use new ones for pots next year, though I must admit that I throw away (or, rather, compost) the irises, small tulips and hyacinths because they have never done well for me a second year, either in pots or in the ground.
madasafish
KG Regular

We have around 60 hyacinths planted out in the garden after being in pots. Provided they are in free draining ground (too wet and they may rot) they will flower and last and last - some of ours are over 15 years old...
lynne
KG Regular

probably known already but it's worth repeating - don't be tempted to knot the leaves, or cut them off after the bulbs have flowered. They're full of nutrients and the bulbs need them to flower properly the next year.
:)
Where do you go to my lovely, when you're alone in your shed...
Primrose
KG Regular

I'd let them die back and then tuck the pots away somewhere in a shady place over the summer. Then in the autumn remove all the compost and repot with fresh. However, I usually transfer any potted bulbs to the garden. Tulips don't seem to do well & really need to be replaced every year but hyacinths reappear like magic in my flower borders and seem to survive really well outdoors.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic