Planting new raspberry canes

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

lizzie
KG Regular

Hi

I've just received my new raspberry canes that were ordered last year. I've got Glen Ample, Glen Moy and Autumn Bliss. When should I plant them out, given that we're due for a cold snap here in the next few days/week or so?

Did a search on previous topics but couldn't find anything. Read literature with the plants but that's not very helpful either.

Thanks in advance
Lots of love

Lizzie
peter
KG Regular

Lizzie, if they are bare root you should "heel them in" asap.

Plant them out regardless of any cold snaps just male sure the roots are well covered. I would suggest plant as normal, then add a wrfym or compost mulch.

Feel odd advising you. :?
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
alan refail
KG Regular

Hi Lizzie

I don't think a cold snap will worry raspberries. I'd follow Peter's advice and get them heeled in or preferably planted in their final position unless the ground is frozen - they probably are bare-rooted.
The general advice on planting is over winter up to March.
A couple of basic links:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/basics/t ... ries.shtml

http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/fruit_veg ... pberry.asp

Alan

By the way Peter, what's wrfym :?:
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
John
KG Regular

Hello Lizzie
I agree with the others and would add that you should prepare the planting area very carefully. Get out every possible tiny scrap of weed as rasps will be in the ground for many years and are also shallow rooting so its important to give them the cleanest start possible. It can be a awful pain trying to weed raspberry beds infested with perennial weeds.

John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
madasafish
KG Regular

I always plant with lots of well rotted compost mixed in and a 2-3cm layer of top of the ground - conserves summer moisture and - for a lazy gardener like me - suppresses weed growth.
As rasps are shallow rooted you should not hoe round them - is my excuse....:-)
Alison
KG Regular

They look very tiny and it is tempting to put the rows too close together, as we have discovered to our cost! Then it gets difficult to shuttle down the rows to pick, and also the new canes for next year do spread out a bit sideways from the rows.
We have had major problems this last year with rootrot, as last winter was unbelievably wet and we have lost the bottom two rows on the slope. Does anyone else have experience of dealing with rootrot?
Alison.
peter
KG Regular

alanrefail wrote:By the way Peter, what's wrfym :?:

Well
Rotted
Farm
Yard
Manure

:D
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Ian F
KG Regular

I got mine just before Christmas, and have planted then in containers in the unheated greenhouse.

I had problems with some canes from Marshalls last year, which I felt came too late. I planted them out as described in some of the other postings, and lost half of them.

A local nursery told me that their container grown canes were actually bare rooted canes, planted in containers, so I have decided to see how it goes with this lot.
tea-shot
KG Regular

Dear Ian F, we were lucky( :?: )to be given some canes at the end of last year, and also dug some up from the wild area around our allotment. We had nowhere to put them so I planted them into containers until a fortnight ago when they were transferred to the fruit cage and it was nice to see lots of new white roots had formed even through the winter. They have been kept outside since we got them and don't seem to have suffered.
alan refail
KG Regular

Peter

Thanks for the translation. I use a lot of WRCADS. A prize to the first person to guess what this is :!:

Alan :twisted:
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
tea-shot
KG Regular

Dear Allan, would it be something to do with chickens and ducks :?:
alan refail
KG Regular

Very close
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Tea-shot you beat me to it, i was thinking of, well rotted chicken and duck spoil, i changed the last word to save swearing, if it's right Alan, tea-shot got it first. :) :wink:
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

What about chicken and donkey Alan. :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
tea-shot
KG Regular

Dear oldherbaceous, I really don't think that there's any need to get as personal as that :lol: :!: I'm sure that Alan is a normal :!: human being and I shudder to think of the result of a cross between a chicken and a donkey - or should that be an ass :?: :twisted:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic