Raised beds

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Helensusan

We have 5 raised vegetable growing beds in our garden each measuring 15' x 4'. They work really well and I have grown a multitude of veg over the past 3 years. The soil level in the beds was a little too low from the start, and apart from adding bags of compost and manure, I still need to add quite a lot more to raise the soil level to the right height. Therefore it would be far too costly to buy ready bagged so I suppose a bulk load may be better. I assume that compost is what I need, but I'm not quite sure what type of stuff is available in bulk, where to get it from, and whether it will be weed-free! Can anyone offer any advice/suggestions.

Secondly, would the incoporation of new soil/compost likely affect what I grow this year?

Thank you.
The Grock in the Frock
KG Regular

i have 8 raised beds on my plot and have had sweetcorn,onins ,shallots, cauliflower,cabbage,peas,sweed,potatoes,and loads more,and every thing has been great apart from my peas this year,dont know what happend.anyway when they were first made i filled them with manure,leaf mold,newspaper,grass clippings and any other organic stuff i could get my hands on,even the dogs hair, and all has been great,and i have carried on doing this each year.try a local stables for the manure,some times you can get it free.ask your hair dresser to save you bin bags of hair and im sure friends will save you kitchen waste and old woolen jumpers.its surprising how quick you will fill your beds.then just sit back and enjoy.also some were on the forum is a page about lasagna gardening have a look at that, it will help.good luck.
Love you lots like Jelly Tots
Chantal
KG Regular

Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
richard p
KG Regular

here in somerset the council composts green waste and will do a good price for bulk loads.
Deb P
KG Regular

I also have a few raised beds, and initialy used loads of mushroom compost and manure from a local farm to get some bulk. Past 2 years, 4 compost bins produce enough to keep the soil levels high now, but I've had to make more of an effort to get enough paper based stuff to make decent compost. I now shred all waste paper instead of sending it for recycling, and find that's enough to keep it ticking over!
Helensusan

Thanks to everyone for your most useful suggestions. I will certainly be composting my own paper since I shred most of it now. I will also contact the local authority and see what sort of deal they can do!
vivie veg
KG Regular

One year I grew tomatoes in a bale for straw.

Prepare the straw bale three weeks before planting by soaking with water, then pour over 5 litres (1 gal) of water every other day. Feed the bales with a high nitrogen feed twice per week. The bales will heat up so do not plant the tomatoes until the temp falls below 30 degrees C.

Cut the bottom off a nine inch pot, grow a tomato in the pot as normal before putting the pot on to the prepared straw bale. Two tomatoes per bale should do fine. The roots will grow out of the pots into the bale.

Keep the bales watered and feed the pots after the first fruits have set.

At the end of the growing year, not only have you had a good crop of tomatoes, but you also have a lovely crumbly compose to top up your beds!
I don't suffer from insanity .... I enjoy it!

Vivianne
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic