wood Anemones - help!

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Colin Miles
KG Regular

My wife has bought 90 of these and I have an ideal spot under the Magnolia Tree - I hope. However, I can't find any planting instructions. The only Google info I could get was to plant horizontally 2" deep - another said 4" - but no idea as to how far apart. Anyone any ideas?
Alison
KG Regular

This is from Shipton Bulbs (I think their web reference is bluebellbulbs) from whom I have had quite a lot of bulbs for naturalising.

WOOD ANEMONE Anemone nemorosa Blodyn Gwynt Called the Windflower, this is one of our loveliest woodland flowers, with its delicate white blossoms and ferny foliage. It prefers damp soil and light shade, so it is suited to hedgerows and areas, under deciduous shrubs and trees, where it will spread happily. Plant twig like rhizomes horizontally, up to 1" below a surface of soil or leaf-mould. AGM Price 20/£3.50 100/£14.00

The usual advice for naturalising is to scatter them where you want them and plant them as they fall, even if some are a bit too close and others too far apart, as it looks more natural.
Alison.
beeman2
KG Regular

We have a large drift of them in a Hedge/ shallow Dyke bottom just up the lane from where we live. They look gorgeous in the early spring,and flower for a long time.I'm sure you will be pleased with them.

regards Beeman. :)
Take only photo's,leave only footprints.
Monika
KG Regular

Anemones do better if you soak them in water overnight before planting. Good luck with them!
When I was a child in Eastern Europe, we had a large coppice in the grounds with anemones, sweet violets and wild scillas in spring and I have been trying to recreate this for many years and, alas, never been successful!
Colin Miles
KG Regular

Many thanks for your replies. Have planted them and hope for the best. Will report in the Spring.
Iain
KG Regular

Colin, I presume you're not planting them in grass? I doubt if they'd be a success there since they're plants of the woodland floor where the competition is no more ferocious than the bluebells, ferns and wood sorrel.
Colin Miles
KG Regular

No Iain - bare earth, though they will have to compete with the Magnolia.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic