Growing and using lemon grass

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Allan
KG Regular

Has anyone information or experience of growing lemon grass?
It looks as if it would be easy and prolific given protection during the winter e.g. technique similar to that employed for French Tarragon. I managed to get some seedlings started off.
A websearch revealed only USA information which is a bit dodgy to accept directly over here.
Hints on use would also be useful.
Allan
Colin_M
KG Regular

Sorry Alan, this is out of context. I have tried Lemon Grass (from Jekka's Herbs) out in a garden border, but it got overtaken by other plants.

In the meantime, since you like this plant, have you tried growing Ginger? I currently have three pots on a windowsill with shoots over 2 foot tall.

You just look out for ginger roots (in any shop) that show a slight bud developing. If planted in ordinary compost, these then develop. You end up with very tall shoots (excellent for a mild ginger flavour) and the root also grows several extra "fingers".

Just put these together with your Lemon Grass, some garlic and chilli and you have the makings of a great Thai meal!

Colin
Last edited by Colin_M on Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Allan
KG Regular

Since opening the topic I have repotted my 2 plants, sown this year. The 7 cm square pots were solid with roots, had to cut them out.It is obviously very vigorous with a bit of warmth and unlimited water.
The ginger roots that I tried never grew at all.

Allan
Geoff
KG Regular

Intersted to know others experience.
Last New Year we had a guest who brought us a bunch bought from a veg stall. It got stuck in a jam jar of water on the kitchen windowledge and never got used. When we noticed the roots some weeks later we potted it up and put it in the heated greenhouse. It thrived and during the summer it was potted on until it reached a 12" pot and became a huge clump growing outside. We took it in at the first frost but still haven't used any.
Do you cut it or pull shoots off? Does it go on for ever if frost free?
hoya105
KG Regular

I have grown lemongrass in pots for the last couple of years. I've let it root out, then potted on and now it's a large clump in a 14"pot. I use 50:50 multi purpose compst and loam, and give it plenty of high nitrogen food throughout summer, all summer it is stood in a tray of water -on pebbles to keep the roots out of the water, this keeps it humid. I stand it outside in a semi-shady spot, then bring it in as soon as the temperature drops in autumn. Through the winter it sits near a sunny window, away from radiators and draughts and i water it fairly often.
When i need i just pull a piece away from the side of the plant, it is delicious! Hope this is helpful to you.
Angels fly - because they take themselves so lightly!
Allan
KG Regular

I seem to be getting companions for the lemon grass,i.e.kiwi fruit Jenny, lemon tree and now lemon verbena. Passiflora edulis seeds are now in the propogator.
Chez
KG Regular

I tried lemongrass from seed (twice) and was very disappointed in the outcome. Germinated and grew well, but was just like thin grass - nothing like that you buy in the supermarket. Following advice from someone on here, I rooted some of the supermarket ones in water (took a few weeks) then planted them out into a pot in the greenhouse. Did very well, producing several new and thick stems from each piece. Frost got them in the unheated greenhouse though during Autumn.

Allan, if you like the sound of this recipe 'Yellow Thai Pumpkin & Seafood Curry', which uses lemongrass, I will post it for you. Apart from the obvious, it also uses coconut milk. One of our favourites!
The cow is of the bovine ilk
One end is moo, the other, milk.
John
KG Regular

Hello Allan
I also grew lemon grass from seed, a few years ago now.
It grew very well but never developed any taste worth bothering with!

John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
tricia
KG Regular

Hi Chez - I'm not Allan but I'd love the recipe please.
Tricia
cevenol jardin
KG Regular

I grew lemon grass for the first time this year with seeds from Nicky's Seeds. I sowed them in May (a little late so poor germination and i did not get as many plants as i'd hoped,but the ones that did germinate grew well. I potted them on as they outgrew each pot (fairly quickly) in the end I put 3 plants per 25cm pot and they seem to be doing well. I set out 1 pot in the polytunnel which seems to be doing better - bulking out - so far so good will let you know. About now they are large enough to harvest.

As for cooking two of my favourite dishes are lemon grass essential Tom Kha Gai or Thai Chicken Coconut Soup can be found on any google search and a vietnamese dish as follows:

This is a variation of the classic Vietnamese dish (bun) where noodles are served at room temperature with salad, dressing and a hot topping. This recipe is the nearest I can get to my favourite dish at the Vietnamese canteen in London. There are five elements to the dish; salad, rice noodles, garnishes, sauce and a fried topping which seems complicated but it isn't. You can prepare the sauce, noodles, salad and garnishes in advance. At serving time, all you have to do is fry the topping which literally takes a few minutes.

For the salad
4 small handfulls washed and shredded crisp lettuce (romaine, cos or iceberg)
4 small handfulls fresh bean sprouts
1 small cucumber, peeled, seeded, and sliced into matchsticks
handfull young mint leaves
handfull Thai basil leaves
Divide the lettuce, bean sprouts, cucumber, mint, and basil among four large soup or pasta bowls.

For the noodles
8 oz. dried rice vermicelli
Bring a medium potful of water to a rolling boil. Drop in the rice vermicelli, stir and boil until the strands are soft and white, but still resilient about 3 to 5 min. Rinse in a colander under cold water just until they are cool and the water runs clear. Let the noodles drain in the colander for 30 minutes then set them aside for up to 2 hours, unrefrigerated.

For the garnish
2 tbsp roasted peanuts, bashed up
Corriander sprigs
Mint sprigs

For the Sauce Nuoc Cham (Vietnamese Dipping Sauce)
1-2 clove garlic, minced
2 to 3 red chillis (Thai bird, cayenne, jalapeño or serrano chile) de-seeded, and minced
10 tbsp hot water
2-4 tbsp sugar
2-4 tbsp fish sauce
2 tbsp fresh lime juice
In a mortar and pestle, pound the garlic and fresh chiles to a paste. (Or mince them together with a knife.) Mix together the garlic, chilli, hot water, sugar, fish sauce and lime juice. Leave to sit for at least 15 min. before using. NB this sauce can be kept in the fridge for about a month. The sauce is put on the table for each person to add to their taste.

Hot topping of Lemongrass chicken
2 tbsp vegetable oil
2 shallots or spring onions, thinly sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
1-2 chicken breasts sliced thinly
3-4 stalks lemons grass (outer leaves and end third removed) minced
2 tsp fish sauce
1 tsp sugar
In a wok, or large pan, heat the oil over a high heat. Add the shallots and garlic, quickly stirring until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the chicken and lemongrass; stir-fry for about 2 min. Sprinkle with fish sauce and sugar. Stir-fry until the chicken is cooked, another 2 to 3 min. Remove from the heat and serve. NB prawns make an excellent variation.

To assemble the dish -- Remove the salad bowls from the refrigerator 20 to 30 minutes before serving. The salad and bowl should be room temperature. Fluff the noodles and divide between the salad bowls. Divide the fried lemongrass chicken between the bowls of salad and noodles. Garnish with half the herbs and peanuts and serve. On the table place the remaining garnishes and sauce so that each person can add them to their own taste.

Hope you try it because it really is delicious.
Getting closer to the land www.masdudiable.com
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic