Green Manure

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Weed
KG Regular

My field beans have shot up so much so that the first plantings are about eighteen inches tall...

I reckon they might suffer from the impending frosts that I believe are due during the middle of this week.

I didn't anticipate such a mild October...my tomatoes are still producing and ripening well so are the peppers.
I am in my own little world, ...it's OK, ...they know me there!
Colin_M
KG Regular

Hi Weed, yes I guess it's another by product of the warm autumn.

I cut the top 6 inches of my early Field Beans, but a second sowing is only 6 inches high so I hope will fare better.

Colin
mandylew
KG Regular

I planted red clover over a month ago and there is no sign of it, the odd clover plant i'm sure is just one that was already there, will have to try field beans next year!

mandy
Mike Vogel
KG Regular

I also have had remarkably poor germination of green manures sown in September. this year it has been winter tares, which have now germinated in isolated bits and pieces. Last year the clover i sowed late didn't appear at all, but the seeds overwintered and came up in the spring. It seems to me that the tares have to be sown in august or else the following spring; that was when i got my best results with them, sowing them where I intended to put overwintering brassicas afterwards.
mike
Please support Wallace Cancer Care
http://www.wallacecancercare.org.uk
and see
http://www.justgiving.com/mikevogel

Never throw anything away.
Monika
KG Regular

Our winter tares at home are growing well but much of the Hungarian grazing rye seed on the allotment were eaten by partridges and pheasants - should have netted the whole bed (as I would do for vegetables). Finished the allotment winter digging this morning, it can all sit and rest now.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic