Potato blight what to do with the compost and containers

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

karlywarly
KG Regular

A week ago the potatos I was growing in bags for Christmas were devastated by blight.

My questions are:

What to do with the compost?

Is it safe to use for other crops?

How should I clean the bags?

Thanks

Karl.
jane E
KG Regular

I'd get rid of the whole lot - tip or green bin. That's the only place where the debris will be composted at a high enough temperature to kill the blight. Of course have a look to see if there are salvageable potatoes which you could eat now. I put all my potato haulms into the green bin, blight or not. That way I know the blight will be killed. I'd disinfect your bags in a greenhouse type disinfectant. I don't know whether others think this would be sufficient.
karlywarly
KG Regular

Green bin it is then.

Thanks for advice.
John
KG Regular

Hello Karlywarly
I wouldn't 'green bin' the compost. Potato blight spores are widespread and carried over long distances in the air. They are always around just waiting for the right conditions, warmth and moisture, to germinate. So apart from good hygiene in clearing up after the crop and spraying when conditions are favourable for spore germination, there's not much else we can do to control it.
Potting compost is very useful stuff and I would go through it removing as much potato growth as possible then spread it around on the veg patch (or even the flower borders), not perhaps where I intend to grow pots next year though. Apparently the spores are killed by cold weather so spreading the compost around and leaving it on the soil surface through the winter should clear it.
Certainly though either bin or burn any remains of your crop. Also I never compost our potato peelings but always bin them.

John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
karlywarly
KG Regular

Thanks for that john.
It did seem a shame to throw away it away.
Monika
KG Regular

We always put all our potato foliage and the very tiny tatties into our huge compost bin because it is left to "stew" fo about five years. Do you think that is long enough to get rid of any nasties?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic