An alternative to wood for raised bed sides

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Victoria Hellyer
KG Regular

I am hoping to start growing veg at the bottom of our recently-moved-to garden but the soil is very wet, most of the year, as it is on a water meadow.

As such, I'm intending to use raised beds but fear that ordinary timber may not last long as it is so wet. Instead, I am hoping to use some "immitation timber" made from recycled plastic but am having difficulty tracking down a supplier although I know that I saw some literature on recycled "immitation timber" planks for fences in the last couple of years.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

With thanks - V
The Grock in the Frock
KG Regular

hi v.i think you will find that most gardeners dont pay for anything if they can help it,this is true with me anyway,i like to improvise on things i come across.why not try the long plastic pieces that the council use to fence off things eg holes in the road the ones with the orange>>>>>>>>>>> markings on them
you could pick them up for free if your that way inclined (not that i am promoting theft)or you could ask at your local council yard.
also you should never fall over them as they are so visable :lol:
Love you lots like Jelly Tots
Beryl
KG Regular

We obtained some off cuts from a local Double Glazing Firm. Also try your local tip, it is amazing what people thow out. We found enough to edge most of a 5 rod plot.

Beryl.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic