what seeds to plant now

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

dirtyclo1
KG Regular

Hi im new to this forum and new to the garden world is there any suggestions on what seeds are good to plant now and any other good tips would be grateful
claire
bigpepperplant
KG Regular

land cress (tastes like watercress), rocket, mizuna, winter spinach, winter lettuce, corn salad, cabbage... I think all those are good to do now
bigpepperplant
KG Regular

oh and garlic, broad beans and shallots
Allan
KG Regular

I usually sow my seeds and plant my bulbs and seedlings.
Have you seen those roadside traffic notices, "heavy plant crossing".
I have yet to solve what the genera and species could be. Maybe a sequoia.
Allan
vivie veg
KG Regular

Allan,
I once saw one of those signs, closely followed by two halves of a tree...one on the left of the road and one on the right :!:
I don't suffer from insanity .... I enjoy it!

Vivianne
Mike Vogel
KG Regular

Hi Claire. Yes, I've just spent the weekend getting my garlic in and at the end of the month it will be the broad beans. Not much of my outdoor winter lettuce sowings have appeared, but the ones I sowed in compost at home have come up. It's perhaps not too late for these, especially if you can put them under protection.

The other thing worth contemplating is green manures. Winter tares and Hungarian grazing Rye are good overwinterers, but take care not to sow them where you want to sow carrots etc next year, as these particular ones inhibit germination.

Good luck

mike
Please support Wallace Cancer Care
http://www.wallacecancercare.org.uk
and see
http://www.justgiving.com/mikevogel

Never throw anything away.
clatsopduck
KG Regular

Someone mentioned cabbage. Is that seed or plants? I can't find any plants at the garden centres and I'm no good at starting brassicas myself (new topic here). I know that we're a bit late for Brussels sprouts, but I assume if one could find the plants they would be just right for planting out just now...

I've just planted rhubarb plants. Other soft fruit such as raspberries are best planted in the autumn.
I know you were asking about seeds, but thought I'd mention these anyway.
Single, ex-pat American mother of four boys and a girl due end of November. Dreaming of a smallholding.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic