Floating stones?

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Monika
KG Regular

I have just spent the last few days winter digging two large beds on the allotment which we have had and cultivated for the last 20 years and it amazes me that every time the beds are dug, we seem to find loads more stones. In fact, my husband John double dug past of the plot last year and collected several wheelbarrow loads of stones. But this year, many more are turning up with almost every spadeful. Presumably, they are loosening from bed rock and gradually work their way up?? Any geologists out there who can give a scientific explanation?

I must add that we live on the "Craven Fault", a geological fault which is on the move all the time and that our allotment is within sight of a large (black) limestone quarry.
peat
KG Regular

Hi monica
I was told years ago that the reason stones keep coming up was because of vibrations. As you walk or vehicles pass, vibrations are set up that cause the smaller particles to fall down beneath larger ones and so lever them upwards.
Pete
skype me on pmrout
"To be a successful farmer, one must first know the NATURE of the SOIL" Xenophon , Oeconomicus 400 B.C.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic