Getting ready for the new year

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

newatallthis
KG Regular

Hi all,
thank you for the post regarding the butternut squash.

I am starting to get the ground ready for the next years sowing can someone tell me if it is ok to use the compost from the grow bags that I have used this year? Or will I need to start again?

Also am I right that I need to pull up my sweetcorn?
Apart from my strawberries there is nothing that I need to keep is there? I still have peppers flowering at the moment so am keeping those going for the time being, as well as the Butternut squash.

many thanks in advance
Lisa
tricia
KG Regular

Hi Lisa,

I always throw all used growbag, container and window-box compost on my raised beds each year. Then three or four inches of well-rotted farmyard manure is spread out on top and if I can find enough then I also cover that with sheets of cardboard from the supermarket. Results in a good friable soil ready for a quick forking over before sowing in the Spring.

Sweetcorn should be finished by now - also the peppers and butternut plants won't yield any new fruit this year - not enough warmth and daylight at this time of the year.

hth
Tricia
Allan
KG Regular

If you listened to the experts on Radio 4's GQT this week they were not encouraging about re-using old multi-purpose compost, especially from tomato bags, other than as a mulch round ornamentals.
It is still available via Listen-again on the BBC website.
peter
KG Regular

Allan's point relates to any fungal, bacterial, viral or animal pests may be lurking in the pre-used compost.

I use it direct on the surface and allow winter to do its best on any pests.

Another route is to adde it into your compost bin.

As for the sweetcorn, well I would not try to pull it up. I might well use secatuers though. :wink:
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
newatallthis
KG Regular

thanks all,

how does this sound. load of manure, then throw the compost bags on top and let the winter do the rest?
Dig over in spring ready for replanting/sowing etc.

Haven't got a compost bin as yet and I really don't want to just throw them all. Hopefully winter will do its job and kill any bugs??

Thanks guys you really are a great bunch!!
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Lisa, that sounds just fine. :wink:
I think i would empty the compost out of the bags though. :shock: :D :wink:

Kind regards Old Herbaceous.

Theres no fool like an old fool.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic