Our big plans

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

taralastair
KG Regular

I am hoping for a bit of advice and help. It will be our last year at the allotment as we are planning to move to New Zealand next year. We're planning to give up the allotment around June/July next year, but would still like to get as much out of it as possible in that time. So I am looking for advice on what to grow to fill the time between now and early summer. I have spring cabbages and over wintering veg like kale in situ, but would like some advice on what else will overwinter or can be sown in early spring. Obviously we don't want a glut if possible as no point in freezing for later. We're keen to try new things like peas/mange tout and broad beans as haven't grown these before, but will they be early enough. Don't have a greenhouse but can start things off in late winter/early spring indoors.

Finally, if anyone is intersted in swapping seeds I will gladly get rid of summer veg seeds we won't be able to use for anything that might be of use to us. Have lots of tomato, bean, pumpkin, sweetcorn, spring onion and carrot seed to give away.

Thanks for any advice.

Tara and Alastair
Allan
KG Regular

You might just about crop broad beans, spring onion and early carrots in time. Pak Choi, some endives and of course radish, lettuce, mustard, cress (try Unwins polycress) are possible, and early peas if module sown and planted out as soon as the ground is fit. I would reckon to have cleared cabbage Spring Hero by June, but that ought to have been sown before now.
A potato such as Rocket could just about be ready before the deadline.
It might be worth studying a cropping plan such as some seedsmen issue for anything that I have missed
Allan
Mike Vogel
KG Regular

I'd certainly endorse Broad Beans. Early spuds are certainly possible, although I mustn't forget that in Manchester things may come a little later than in Bedford. [Not much though; when i started I was told that I should follow schedules for the north rather than the south, as we get eastern exposure.] I get potatoes at the end of May by growing early earlies under fleece, so Red Duke of York or Colleen could be a good idea for you too. What about garlic? Thermidrome [from the Organic Catalogue] or Early Wight are usually ready in May or June.

Good luck with your move; I'm sure you'll be missed.

mike
Please support Wallace Cancer Care
http://www.wallacecancercare.org.uk
and see
http://www.justgiving.com/mikevogel

Never throw anything away.
Ian F
KG Regular

I have had success in Manchester with early spuds, grown in a raised bed, warming the soil with clear plastic, then keeping it on when the spuds have sprouted to protect against frost. I have grown both Rocket and Swift, and had spuds at the end of May.
sprout
KG Regular

Make a hot box and grow spuds?
On Boxing Day, put loads of fresh horse manure into a biiiig box, cover with 8" or so of compost, wait a week, plant spuds, cover with a polythene cloche. You should get new potatoes on Easter Day :D
taralastair
KG Regular

I love the idea of a hot box for spuds thanks! We are still unsure of a departure date - will depend on jobs etc. Might be setting off as early as May, but will definitely be around for Easter. Early potatoes would make husband very happy indeed.

What sort of "box" would work? Last year I grew some in cut off plastic barrells. Would they work if I insulated a bit more?

Thanks for all the good wishes. We will really miss the alotment when we go. We never realised how addicted we would get to it all. However, hopefully we can get a bit more space of our own in NZ to grow on.

Tara

BTW if anyone wants left over seeds please send requests. Mostly the standard fair - tomatoes, carrots, pumpkins, brasicas, salad stuff. But don't want to let it go to waste. PM me if interested and I can give specifics.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic