Seaweed as manure

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Primrose
KG Regular

We visit the coast fairly regularly and often see seaweed washed up on the beach. Seems a shame to waste it and I'd like to collect some as manure. However, I did this once many years ago and it seemed to take for ever to rot down in my compost heap. Is there any recommended way of using it, or of speeding up the rotting process, and can it be dug directly into the soil to rot down.
Are there any special veggies which benefit from it. Thanks

PS And hope some politically correct individual isn't going to tell me that the EEC has now banned the collection of seaweed from beaches for health and safety reasons !!
Chris
KG Regular

Hi Primrose

There is a useful information sheet on the Garden Organic site (formerly HDRA)

http://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/factsheets/gg15.php

I've composted it in the past but seems OK to pile it on the beds in the Autumn. That's what they have done on the West Coast of Scotland for ages.

Hope this is helpful.

Good luck

Chris
Chris
sprout
KG Regular

Great for every fruiting plant, also asparagus and cabbage - just pile it on, it will disappear into the soil :D
Primrose
KG Regular

Very interesting article Chris. Thanks.
Will defintely be down on the beach with my black plastic bag. My husband will probably be relieved that I've settled for something slightly less offensive than manure to be carted home in the boot of the car !
Primrose
KG Regular

Very interesting article Chris. Thanks. Will definitely be down on the beach on my next coastal visit with my black plastic bag.
My husband will doubtless be relieved that he's being asked to cart something less smelly than horse manure home in the boot of his car!
Primrose
KG Regular

Sorry about duplicate response. Glitch on the computer.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic