Raised beds

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

amo
KG Regular

My allotment is drepressing me right now and I was wondering if raised beds would be the answer.

I can give it only 3-5 hours a week in general is that enough or should I give it up now?

I had it only since May and it was a field of weeds then. we did clear it up quickly and I must say I am please with the harvest, even manage to get a few small onions and potatoes.

But the weeds are back and the soil is so hard. I can't even think of digging it up this autumn!

Will raised beds make it easier and time saving?

Thank you for any advice

amo
Sue
KG Regular

If you have got perennial weeds like nettles and bind weed, they will just grow through and the raised beds make it even tougher to dig the plot over.

Take heart Amo - had the same problem myself when I took mine over about 4 years ago and my visits are erratic to say the least :roll:

My top tips would be:
-clear 1 bit at a time so you feel you are accomplishing something
-don't be scared to use glyphosate weedkiller to start you off when clearing sections
-a thick layer of compost now on any cleared bits will be taken down into the soil over winter by the worms making it much easier for you to dig next spring
-cover fallow ground with thick black plastic or something similar or weedkill, cover and plant through the plastic
-grow big stuff that can take a bit of weed competion and is low effort - potatoes, squashes, anything in the onion family, fruit....
-accept a few weeds will always be with you and relax - the extra effort you have to put it for it to be purfick is not paid back by that bigger increase in yield
-make sure you have a fun bit on every trip - even a cup of tea and a biccie or a natter with a fellow plot holder can brighten your day. If it's all hard slog, you will get fed up.

Sue

(mine's the weedy plot in the corner, but I still get a harvest & I luuurve my lottie relaxing time 8) :D )
sprout
KG Regular

Great advice sue 8)
If you can get a copy of 'The Half-Hour Allotment' it's full of good stuff about what to prioritise to minimise time on the plot. Sadly not much about mulching, but if you combine the two approaches you'll be able to do a pincers movement :shock: :D
Weed
KG Regular

Hi Amo

I reckon you could do worse than to take a trip to the Organic centre at Yalding near Maidstone.

It is part of the HDRA group and if its anything like their place at Ryton in Warwickshire they mostly operate a no-dig policy.

You could get some good energy saving ideas I am sure... plus its a nice day out
I am in my own little world, ...it's OK, ...they know me there!
Sue
KG Regular

You've inspired me to get that book Sprout. Laziness and lack of time have been the mother of my invention so far, but I'm up for any more good ideas 8)

I'm next to the boundary hedge & overgrown bit so brambles, bind weed & other nasties are always invading. However, operation pincher will now commence - be afraid weeds, be very afraid.... :shock: :twisted:

Sue
Mike Vogel
KG Regular

Amo, I can endorse what almost everyone has said. As a teacher, I frequently have rather less than your 3-5 hours, and I am very glad of school holidays. I am in the process of changing my allotment to raised beds and I don't think you'll regret it. As you get each bed ready you will be able to grow whatever crop suits the time of year or your rotation pattern. Each bed will have its own rotation, and if you are interested there's a very useful book by Joy Larkcom called "Grow your own Vegetables", which gives a table of what can be done with only a few beds in not much space. It's got a lot else besides.
Please support Wallace Cancer Care
http://www.wallacecancercare.org.uk
and see
http://www.justgiving.com/mikevogel

Never throw anything away.
amo
KG Regular

Thank you everyone.

I will do some raised beds in half and leave the other half as it is (minus the weeds)for next year.

Hopefully with some weeds killer and some hard work next year should only be better.

Thanks agains

amo
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic