Where and when to buy early potatoes

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

whitelighter
KG Regular

Hi all,

Just taken on an allotmentin sunny Kent. Currently digging over and untouched for 5-6 years!. Soil pretty good.

I have got my seeds ready for planting next March 07 however, can anybody advise me what best early spuds varieties to plant , when to plant and where to buy from? I have read that you buy them at 1.5kg at a time, how many tubers do you get and what sort of yield?

Sorry for all the questions but this is all new to me!!

All help greatly received.

Nick

[/b]
Chantal
KG Regular

You may well find there is a Potato Day somewhere near you in early 2007. You can buy by the tuber if you wish and thus try a good many different varieties until you decide what you like. Lots of other potato information available too.
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Trevor Holloway
KG Regular

Our allotment shop gets bulk orders of seed potatos, current price is £2.40 for 3kg. I have ordered one bag of earlies, one second earlies and two main crop. This should give more than enough for a family of four (if there is space with everything else in the ground) without using them all !
peter
KG Regular

Aske Edwin Tuckers for their 2007 catalogue and wait for it to turn up.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Iain
KG Regular

I suggest you get a copy of Alan Romans's wee booklet. Very useful guide to cultivars, etc. Costs £1.25 from his site: alanromans.com is the url, I think.
Have fun.

I.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic