Gooseberry cuttings

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Fig tree
KG Regular

Hi there
I would like to grow some goosberries and I think I can get my hand on some cuttings (saving a penny makes me :)) any advice on taking goosberry cuttings would be welcome. Also ...any idea on how long before cuttings come to fruit????
Thanks in advance :D
Mike Vogel
KG Regular

Hello there, Figtree. I once knocked a shoot off a gooseberry bush by accident, stuck it in the ground and 2 years leter it was fruiting. However, if the person you are getting the cuttings from has really bushy bushes, it might be to your mutual interest to dig them up and divide them. Then his/hers would get more light and a new lease of life and you will have ready-to-fruit gooseberry bushes. That's how I increased my 3 bushes to 12 over about ten years.

mike
Please support Wallace Cancer Care
http://www.wallacecancercare.org.uk
and see
http://www.justgiving.com/mikevogel

Never throw anything away.
Fig tree
KG Regular

Many thanks Mike V for such an encourageing reply....it seems that gooseberries are just as willing to root as raspberries then.
Fig tree 8)
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Figtree,
Cuttings for Gooseberry bushes can be taken as semi-mature cuttings in June to August and as hardwood cuttings from September and November.
With my Gooseberries it would be impossible to do as Mike suggests as they all grow on single stems and any ground shoots are cut out and not allowed to mature.
Gooseberries can also be propagated by using the layering technique and also with strong suckers from the ground being very carefully severed from the plant with some root.(these are called Frenchmans cuttings) I have found over the years that hardwood cuttings are the more successful of all the methods.
JB.
Fig tree
KG Regular

Thank you for your input Johnboy....guess what I will be doing on Monday?....yep I will be trotting around the allotments armed and dangerous looking for a friendly face (who has some good bushes) :wink:
Last week I received a lovely gift from a neighbour (without asking) he presented me with 3 cultivated blackberry bushes...at last no more thorns. 8)
thanks again Figtree
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic