Which potatos should I grow?

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

sue-the-recycler
KG Regular

Thanks so much everyone for your suggestions. I have decided to go along to one of the potato days - the one at Nescliff is my closest. I think Kestrel, Charlotte and pink fir apple will be definates and will have a look see what else they have at the potato day. We should organise a 'real' virtual KG tea party at these events :D Anyone else going to Nescliff?
Jenny Green
KG Regular

JazzDuke wrote:Thanks Nog, now for some more really novice-y questions,

1. Put drainage holes in the bag?
2. Water much?
3. Absolutely cover the growing tips?
4. Presumably when bag is full you let the plant grow for a while?
5. How do I know when the potatoes will be at their optimum to pick?
6. Is the compost re-usable or spent?

JD

I too have grown potatoes in compost bags so can answer some of your questions.
Yes, put drainage holes in the bottom.
Water maybe every 3/4 days, depending on how hot it is and how much foliage there is.
You can get away with covering the growing tips once or twice, but once summer's underway I would always have six inches of foliage showing.
Let the plant grow until harvesting time.
This will depend on the variety. Potatoes start to form sizable tubers when they flower. But some don't flower. Earlies will flower earlier than main crops (surprised?). With the compost bag method you can gently root around in the bag and pull out potatoes but leave the plant growing more. Once the foliage has died down (or succumbed to blight) the potatoes won't grow any more.
The compost will be spent after this.
You don't have to use the new compost for growing the potatoes. Garden compost mixed with soil will do too, though you may need to feed during the season (the plants go pale if they're hungry).
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic